Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Remove chalk markings? >

Remove chalk markings?

Remove chalk markings?

Old 11-03-2019, 01:51 PM

Unhappy Remove chalk markings?

I have been using one of the chalk mechanical pencils to mark FMQ and have had a terrible time removing all of the chalk marks. I tried eraser, wet cloth sponge and still some of the markings appear. I never had this problem before so I am wondering if it could be the fabric that is causing the problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated muchly.
Old 11-03-2019, 02:04 PM
Power Poster

I only use white chalk board chalk that I sharpen to a point. Some of the chalk markers ( especially the colours) are very difficult to remove. Maybe someone who uses them will have an idea.
Old 11-03-2019, 02:24 PM
Power Poster

I agree with Tartan that white chalk is the only safe color. Other colors have dyes that may not come out.
Old 11-03-2019, 03:12 PM
Power Poster

Maybe visit the website for the product you used and see what they recommend. I had one chalk pencil that you had to brush it off- then use a white eraser- if it got wet it was there for good, and another was other way around- you had to use a damp cloth to remove the marks. I went back to only using Taylor’s chalk. Best to just check with the company first before trying something that may set it for good
Old 11-03-2019, 03:21 PM

What brand and what color did you use?
Old 11-03-2019, 03:52 PM

Some of the colored chalks say on the packaging that ironing over the marks can make them difficult or impossible to remove. Check your instructions on that.
So far the only colored chalk I had trouble removing was the blue pounce powder. I had a devil of a time getting it out after I marked a stencil pattern with it and quilted over it. Luckily after much scrubbing with a brush most of it was out and what remained wasn't obvious or offensive since it was on a blue sky fabric. That was the last time I used that blue pounce powder, though.
Old 11-03-2019, 04:05 PM
Power Poster

wow, if all else fails, try Oxy clean. good luck!
Old 11-03-2019, 04:35 PM

Do you have one of those little “scrubbies” made by crocheting tulle? My MIL used to make them and they work great for getting chalk off.

While im thinking about something pertaining to marking i will pass this along... I recently saw where a quilter on the internet dumped out the chalk powder in her refillable chalk marker (the one with the little wheel to help with marking fine lines). Then she refilled it with some of the new Ultimate Pounce powder that can be removed by touching it with an iron. I thought it was a great idea, although the only color currently available in iron-off is the white. I have no idea if other iron off colors are in the works at this time. Pounce currently does also have a pencil (actually more like a crayon that you need to sharpen) in the iron off form - again only in white.

Thought i would pass that along!
Old 11-03-2019, 04:59 PM

I used canned air, like the ones you use to clean your keyboard, and it worked ok. Might be worth a try.
Old 11-04-2019, 03:56 AM

I recently used an orange chalk marker and had a heck of a time getting it all to come out. Several washings later - with a bit of 'scrubbing' (with an old toothbrush & some dawn dish soap) and the stubborn marks finally were almost gone. No one else would notice them but of course I did since I was looking for them.

I've not had issues with any colors of those markers in the past. I think this time I pressed just a bit too hard to get the marks to stay put. I think that was probably the main issue.