Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Remove Lines >

Remove Lines

Remove Lines

Old 06-23-2021, 05:14 PM

Default Remove Lines

I have a quilt that someone used a pencil to mark quilting
lines on--and there are a lot of them. What is a good way to remove these lines after it has been quilted?
Old 06-23-2021, 06:52 PM
Power Poster

It depends on what colour background the marks are on. You should always test any product you are going to use on a hidden spot first.
Old 06-24-2021, 04:26 AM

Pencil lines can be very hard to get out depending on the pencil. Normal pencil graphite doesn't fade much over time either...

I learned to not mark with pencil myself -- I will draw on parchment paper and sew through the paper which can still transfer some of the graphite.

A fabric eraser, they are typically white and hard, can help some. You have to be careful to not scrub so hard you damage the quilting threads. Sometimes just a toothbrush can help get off some marks or improve the area.

There are other things you can do/try if you are willing to wash. Mixtures of a couple drops of Dawn Dishwasher detergent either just thinned with water or with some added ingredients like rubbing alcohol are possible. Even without washing, a light toothbrush scrub with water and a little rubbing alcohol might help (if it dries clear).
Old 06-26-2021, 08:39 AM
Power Poster

I’ve marked many quilts lightly with pencil, I’ve never had a problem with the pencil lines washing out. I launder Every quilt I make right after finishing the binding— to me it is the final step to completion. The marks have always washed out. I do check to make sure when I remove it from the water before putting in the dryer.
Old 06-26-2021, 05:05 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies. I will pass this information on when I return the quilt to the lady that asked me to help quilt it.