Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Removing Blood Stain From My Quilt

Removing Blood Stain From My Quilt

A month or so ago, I read on this site that a Member had gotten blood on a quilt and was asking how to get it off. Several Members suggested using her saliva (if it was her blood). Well my husband and I scoffed at the idea, however, today while FMQing a quilt that I am making, I got a large blob of my blood on it. Of course, it was on the white piece. I frantically looked for my peroxide but was unable to find it so I thought I would try my saliva. I am here to tell you that it worked amazingly well. It was a spot about 1-inch long and at least 1/8 of an inch wide. I didn't rub the stain, I just kept putting my saliva on it and I was amazed to see the blood disappear before my very eyes. It took several drops of saliva but it dissolved the whole spot. A photo of my quilt and a photo of the spot. (The pink showing is my Minky backing. (no batting). Thank you to all of the Members who gave us this solution. I am so grateful to know this.
    Name:  Gabby's Quilt.jpg
Views: 1290
Size:  1.06 MBName:  quilt.JPG
Views: 1294
Size:  792.2 KB

Blog Entries
    Glad to know it works! It’s a good thing you didn’t use peroxide. Peroxide weakens fibers. That weakness isn’t obvious at first but can cause a hole eventually.

Blog Entries

Lovely quilt!

Glad it worked. Your quilt is so pretty!!!

Nobody believes the saliva trick until they try it. LOL Peroxide works too, but you don't always have it on hand. I used peroxide on my uniforms because it wasn't my own blood.
    Love to quilt and play with the great grandkids

Power Poster
    Pretty quilt top and glad it is blood free!

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I found out it works the hard way too! Your quilt is great--love the bright colors.

NE California - no where near the Bay Area!
    I was hand quilting the other night and stabbed myself in the thumb. It didn't hurt much so I continued quilting. I then realized I bled on the muslin backing. I too used saliva and it came out perfectly!

DJ
    Beautiful quilt. I haven't had that success with the saliva on blood solution though. I'm going to keep a styptic pencil by my sewing machine though, so I can dab it on when I get a pin prick. It seems to happen often, and I bleed easily because I take a baby aspirin several times a week.

I was taught to keep a 12" piece of white thread in my mouth to place on the blood spot to let it 'work' and absorb the blood spot. Just lay the puddle of wet thread on the spot and go about quilting but get a new piece of thread just in case you need another one.

Blog Entries
    I always use saliva when I get blood on my sewing. It has always worked for me. I was told to do this by another quilter years ago. I told a good friend who just started sewing in the last two years when she got blood on one of her quilts and wanted to know the best way to get it out. She couldn't believe it, and told me later that she had to use the saliva trick again at home. I've found it works best if you notice the blood right away, but it will still work even if the blood as dried.

Blog Entries
    Gotta be careful you didn't just eat a handful of M&Ms, though....

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    Gotta be careful you didn't just eat a handful of M&Ms, though....
    Peggi

I've never tried the saliva. I always just use cold water (never hot that will set the stain) and it has always taken the blood stain out (thanks, Mom)
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Blog Entries
    and when you need chemicals ...... use Qwikgo... to remove blood....see my blog on this quilting board ..... https://www.quiltingboard.com/blogs/...ts-b12958.html

Back in the day of sewing class we were told to wad up a bunch os white cotton thread and chew it to fill with your saliva and then blot at the blood. My uncle owned a dry cleaners and spit on many stains it worked for him.
    Caren.

Glad it worked! Such a pretty quilt.
    Pat
    Brother NQ 3500D
    HQ Avanté