Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Removing broken needle parts >

Removing broken needle parts

Removing broken needle parts

Old 03-25-2022, 10:49 AM

Default Removing broken needle parts

I was embroidering a hat and broke a needle. My fault I had hooped the hat too close to the rim. I carefully removed the hoop and could not see the broken parts. I carefully removed the bobbin plate and saw a part on the feed dogs. I was afraid to use tweezers in case I dropped it so I cut a small piece of duct tape and laid it on the piece and picked it up. The point was still missing so I took the plate off and saw it sitting on a flat area. Again I used a piece of duct tape, laid it on and pressed lightly with tweezers and lifted it out. I laid the needle and the two parts together on the tape and I do have all of it.
This worked this time but my question is, how do you lift out broken parts of a needle? I am always afraid of a needle getting into my machines. I never change a needle without fabric laid on the machine but I would appreciate advice on dealing with broken needles.
Old 03-25-2022, 10:58 AM

In the past I've used a magnet.
Old 03-25-2022, 11:01 AM

Sounds to me your method worked fine. I also have one of those small telescoping wand magnets that i use sometimes to pick pins and small bits of metal. It works too but I would be hesitant to use around computer parts. I just ordered myself some very fine tipped tweezers and am anxious to get them so I can see how well they work. I think I could use my magnet wand on some areas of my machines like the bobbin areas.
Old 03-28-2022, 04:07 PM

When I bought my Husqvarna machine several years ago, during the learning classes it came with, the dealer, who had been an award winning dealer for years said not to worry too much if you couldn't find the small parts when a needle breaks as the machines are designed to have the broken pieces fall down where they won't cause problems. I can't speak to the accuracy of this in all circumstances but I do know that in the past, I have broken needles that I lost small portions of and I have never had trouble with the machine...
Old 03-28-2022, 06:52 PM

I agree with Elaine. When you take your machine to a service tech, we blow all of the lint and needle bits out with an air compressor. It usually isn't a problem. It drops to the bottom of the machine.

I have seen where a needle tip will lodge in the race of an oscillating hook and cause problems. But it can be removed by scraping it out with a tiny screwdriver.
Old 03-29-2022, 03:00 AM

My Brother tech told me, a few wks ago, that a broken needle can sometimes attach itself to the power supply unit, and cause a problem. Alas, that was not the problem with my machine….it was the PSU itself.
Old 03-29-2022, 05:39 AM

A magnet works, but I have a small hose that attaches to my vacuum that I use to clean my computer as well as my sewing machine. Works for me.
Old 03-29-2022, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

I have the same thing as Karamarie and it works great. I got mine on Amazon.
Old 03-29-2022, 07:38 AM

There is not a single way to grab a broken needle. Sounds like you did a great job. Now depending on your machine and "if" a needle were to get deep into your machine, a lot will depend on the make and age of your machine. My FW and many of my older machines, the needle will drop all the way through and onto a table or into the cabinet of the machine. On newer machines, tipping it upside down and using a magnet may work. IF your machine is interpreted and not working it may need to be serviced. Much will depend on how handy you are at doing a bit of maintenance on opening your machine to look for the culprit. I know the fear and it takes your breath away.