Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Repair or replace sewing machine >

Repair or replace sewing machine

Repair or replace sewing machine

Old 08-01-2016, 04:24 AM

Sorry to hear that you are having problems - I love my 1630 and so far she has been running strong. If it starts to have problems I would most likely try to get it repaired or try to find one to replace it. She sews so smoothly and does everything that I need.

The question of buying new or used will be dependent on your financial circumstances and sewing needs - you will have to weigh out the pros and cons to make your decision.
If I had to replace the 1630 I would most likely look at used because of budget and also because I feel that the older machines are more reliable, have metal parts and are built to perform for many years.
The new Berninas are extremely expensive and are way out of my price range so they wouldn't be an option for me.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Kimcatlou View Post
I find the Pfaff hard to use and very noisy. After instruction at the shop, I still can't figure out many of the embroidery features, lettering, etc. Its plusses are tge attachged walking foot and the wide space for quilting.
A friend (a former Home Ec. teacher) told me that she always found the Pfaff hard to use.
I have had Pfaff for over 20 years and love them. I have a dealer who is very good at explaining what to do and she is only a phone call away.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Kimcatlou View Post
I did take it to a Bernina tech each time. Thanks for the eBay link. I am strongly considering buying a Bernina there.
My Bernina 1630 started zigging while using a quarter-inch foot. It broke two needles, and I took it to my Bernina tech. He said he would have to send the board to Bernina in Chicago for repair. Bernina no longer makes new boards for that model. It cost $345 and was away for weeks, but they said the repair by Bernina is guaranteed for a year.

It came back and broke two more needles. I returned it to the tech. They sent the board back to Bernina in Chicago. I was without it for a total of three months. When Bernina returned it to the tech, they said that after testing for a few days, nothing was wrong with it. The tech could not make it malfunction so the machine could not be repaired.

In the meantime I bought another 1630 on eBay to have when the first one was being repaired. The seller claimed it was in good condition. When I got that one, the curser would not work properly. I took it to a different Bernina tech for an overall service and to repair the curser. He had to send the board to Bernina in Chicago for repair, and it will cost between $300 and $500.

I have the first one back, and it has been sewing fine. I don't know what they did differently, but they must have fixed it since I haven't had the needle break again. I'm waiting for the second one to be returned.

Hopefully, between the two, I'll always have one to sew on. I do not want to change machines. I'd have to buy all new feet, bobbins, and an insert for my sewing table. And it would be hard for me to learn a new machine. It took me a year to discover the "back" button on this one. After adding up everything that I've spent on these two machines, they are still much less expensive than a new one that I wouldn't know how to use and would have to buy new feet, bobbins, insert for.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:40 AM

I think that 1630 owners (like me) are some of the most devoted sewing machine users in the world. I have had mine since 1994, and would never replace it, though I have had it repaired a couple of times (nothing major). I have been very surprised to see a few listed for sale on the Yahoo list Sew It's for Sale. They have been listed for only $600 to $650, and I have considered buying a "spare." Regarding the Bernina shop in Wilmington, NC, I can also attest that they really know what they are doing. Maybe because they went to training so recently, maybe another reason, but whatever--they know their stuff! Good luck.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:11 AM

I love sewing on my Bernina Virtuosa 55 and my Bernina 1006. I would look on eBay for another machine.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:19 AM

If you are a quilter, Janome's machines, pricing and longevity can't be beat. The Janome 6600 is a real workhorse. The Janome 8900 is a great machine too. Understand that the new 9400 is really nice...depends on you use, features and price you want to pay.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:52 AM
mac

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I love my Bernina 1530. The only thing that has been replaced is the bobbin case because I foolishly used can air to clean out those pesky little dust bunnies! She is still running fine, needs to go in for her cleaning and I hope she outlast me. What seems to be your problem?? My friend, who has a 1230, had to have her board replaced.
ManiacQuilter2, I also use a can of air to clean by bobbin area sometimes. What did the can of air do that made you have to replace the bobbin case? I am interested as I don't want to wreck my 1530 either.

To Kimcatlou: My friend just bought a 1530 for $950 (USD) and I would think that before you put more money into your machine that I would have a certified Bernina person look at it (if your repairman wasn't one) and have him evaluate it. Another used Bernina, even though they do hold their price value, may be cheaper than another big repair bill. Just my opinion. I love my Bernina and I have had it since the 1530's first came out and nothing major has gone out on it.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:05 AM

I would like to say that I have a Janome 6600 and I love it. My other machine is a Bernina 440 which I like very much. The Janome has some features not on my Bernina so I find myself using the Janome more than the Bernina-Scissors and easier needle threader.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:46 PM

[QUOTE=mac;7616693]ManiacQuilter2, I also use a can of air to clean by bobbin area sometimes. What did the can of air do that made you have to replace the bobbin case? I am interested as I don't want to wreck my 1530 either.

What I have heard is canned air has moisture in it and can damage the inside of the sewing machine. Others say no they have used it for ever with no problems. I don't want to take a chance. The manufacturer of the machine might make a difference.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:53 PM
Power Poster

Canned air forces lint deeper into your machine, where you cannot reach it. It's better to use a tiny vacuum (about $7) to suck out lint or tape a straw to the end of your regular vacuum's hose. If using a vacuum cleaner, just be sure to adjust suction to the lightest level possible; you don't need or want a strong suction.