Repairing a cutting mat to new condition >

Repairing a cutting mat to new condition

Repairing a cutting mat to new condition

Old 09-12-2010, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
This is from
http://www.generations-quilt-pattern...tting-mat.html

OLFA Cutting Mats love moisture!

It is recommended that you soak your mat from time to time. Your self healing mat loves moisture.

To soak it, put your mat in a bathtub or large container (would have to be large so it can lay flat) and soak it for 15-20 in a solution of 1/4 cup white vinegar to every gallon of cool water. Let me repeat, cool water. Do this every so often to help extend its useful life.

Then use a squirt of mild dishwashing soap (Ivory) and clean the mat with a mushroom brush (soft is the key word here). The purpose of this gentle scouring is to remove the fibers that get trapped in the cuts marks preventing the cuts from "healing".

Keep 'em clean, keep 'em moist, keep 'em flat and NO heat. Your cutting mat is not a coffee cup coaster!
I think I'm going to give this a try. My large Olfa has been sitting in front of the sunny window for a year now and must surely be dried out. :oops: Thanks for the tip and the link. Jinnie
Old 09-12-2010, 08:53 AM

I wipe my mat down at least once a week with a very damp lint free cotton dish towel and leave it to air dry. I wipe it every time I cut batting. Now that I read this, I think I will turn it over and do the backside too!
Old 09-12-2010, 08:57 AM

Sounds good, I washedmine down as I had sullivan spray on it and it did real good.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by SHayes
Wish I had read this post earlier. I just bought a new 24x36 mat this evening. The new one has the grid lines on both sides. Maybe it will last twice as long as the old one!
I did too...bought a new one at wally world! I like the colors of the new one and that it is completely reversable, marked to be used on both sides! :thumbup: :D
Old 09-12-2010, 09:49 AM

So, who knew a bathtub was so narrow.

One dry deck
one wet blanket
one 2' x3' mat
one big beach towel
one water hose

OVERNIGHT

It looks good.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:14 AM

Yes I have one that is dried out and it is warped from laying ti wrong. The warp spot really makes a difference in gett a straight cut. It is my favorite one so I hated not using it. Just the so many this is better then coing to school to learn things.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:17 AM

Bathtub?
Originally Posted by Lacelady
How big is it? I am trying to think what on earth I could soak my large (36in long) mat in?
Old 09-12-2010, 10:29 AM

After I read this I took my old mats and put them in the tub to soak. Then I put my new mat on the table and used it for the first time. I was amazed at how well my rotary cutter worked on it! On the old mat I thought I was going to have to replace the blade again! I am so glad some generous quilter was kind enough to share that old mats ruin your blades....Another reason this is my second home!! :D :thumbup:
Old 09-12-2010, 10:36 AM

Yay! This is a great tip for prolonging the life of our tools. Question: Does your blade ever have a tick,tick sound as it goes around cutting? Is this supposed to happen? Keep thinking I have the blade in wrong or something. It's an older Olfa (black/yellow)
Originally Posted by Ditter43
After I read this I took my old mats and put them in the tub to soak. Then I put my new mat on the table and used it for the first time. I was amazed at how well my rotary cutter worked on it! On the old mat I thought I was going to have to replace the blade again! I am so glad some generous quilter was kind enough to share that old mats ruin your blades....Another reason this is my second home!! :D :thumbup:
Old 09-12-2010, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Linda58
I wipe my mat down at least once a week with a very damp lint free cotton dish towel and leave it to air dry. I wipe it every time I cut batting. Now that I read this, I think I will turn it over and do the backside too!

Now this is something that would work for me also. I'm unsure of a deep soak in the tub and don't think my mat would fit either... well maybe in the whirpool one but I doubt it. I won't even say how many years I've been using this same mat. I also was planning on a new replacement.

Thanks Linda for providing another solution for us skeptical souls.