Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Repeat and repeat and repeat...

Thumbs up Repeat and repeat and repeat...

Notice that when I need a baby/todler quilt, I'm making the same patterns over and over and over again. Usually the same puzzle pattern, but sometimes a variatioin on a monkey wrench. I have books, mags, print outs from online patterns, and pic of quilts for inspiration. But do I use them? Nope!! Driving me nuts. Anyone else in a similiar rut?
    If you don't work on it you'll never finish it.

Blog Entries
    no, not in that rut. reason being... i like to try different quilt patterns and techniques. and i don't want to become bored with my hobby.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Same as QuiltnNan. In fact, a lot of stuff that I try never makes it past baby blanket size, so I give those away ;-)
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

I find that if I'm in a pinch to get one done, I'll use a tried and true pattern. I use something new or more difficult if I have the time. The "same old same old" pattern can be made to look so different with the use of color and fabric. Besides, you could make your favorite your signature quilt and do all of them the same. No quilt police here.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Sometimes I just want to get right to the cutting/sewing and not have to think. I can't tell you how many log cabin quilts I have made. Its my "go to " pattern when I am in decision grid lock for picking a new pattern. It leaves the final block layout for latter... but I still use the same block layout ( barn raising). So yes I am have a "stuck in a rut" pattern. But to my defense .. I do have lots of 1 1/2 inch strip... that's my story and sticking to it.

I have only doubled up on a quilt pattern once as I like to try something new with each quilt
    Sheena

I have yet to duplicate a peicing pattern. I want to try something new with every quilt. I have way too many on my bucket list to duplicate. But I have made some that turned out so nice I have it in the back of my head to make it again. The showcase of asian prints I did, My DH loved it so much I am thinking of making him one.

I have done a lot of BQ2 quilts but I find it fun to change the fabric placement. I do a lot of charity quilts and I need to make a stunning quilt with little effort. Even adding Rick Rack can make the quilt look different. If you are in a rut, then try something new.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I try to use different patterns so I will not get boared with doing the same old thing.

I seldom ever make the same pattern. The only time I do is if I get a request for one like I have made. I like the excitement of a totally new project.

I haven't had enough need to make many baby quilts. Though I know I wouldn't mind reusing the same pattern frequently. Baby quilts are something I want to get done right away ... so the expectant mother can have them quickly.
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

The last baby quilt I did was a Winnie the Pooh panel, no borders, and a purchased blanket edgeing. That was what she wanted. I just quilted on the outlines and did a few curliques in the wide areas. Used the thick flannel for the back, no batting. Went quickly. With baby quilts you do what you know they would like or what they ask for. One day somebody will want something totally different and you get to play again.

I have the opposite problem, in that once I make a top, I don't want to recreate that pattern again. I always want to make something I've never made before. Maybe that's why I've bought so many patterns....which I've not used yet.

I like to try new patterns but find myself going back to the traditional patterns

I can't count how many times I've made the Yellow Brick Road quilt. Usually in different colors. And they were all given away.

Blog Entries
    My "go to" pattern is the Carpenters Wheel.... but I have a list of new quilt patterns that I want to try!

I might make a lot of the same blocks but they are likely to be different colors, or put together differently. If I am using scraps I will make a whole bunch and then use them in quilts, borders, or as accents. Love having a bunch to choose from.

Blog Entries
    You made me think, being a rather newbie I seem to have made more baby quilts than anything else....we must be in the middle of a population boom. It seems all of my friends are having grandbabies! Of all the baby quilts I have made I have never used a pattern, it seems that baby fabric speaks to me and the fabric dictates what the end will be, with the exception of the 3D pinwheel quilt I made for a little girl baby, I used soft 30s prints and white white and it turned out so sweet. I do have some rather "wild" fabric I bought in Wyoming over a year ago, I love the colors and the patterns even though they are so not me, but for the life of me I have no idea what I will do with it other than look at it every once and a while and pet it!

Repeat, Repeat, Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by Julie in NM View Post
    Notice that when I need a baby/todler quilt, I'm making the same patterns over and over and over again. Usually the same puzzle pattern, but sometimes a variatioin on a monkey wrench. I have books, mags, print outs from online patterns, and pic of quilts for inspiration. But do I use them? Nope!! Driving me nuts. Anyone else in a similiar rut?
    I also have a pattern for a baby quilt that I use over and over. When I change up the fabric though it changes the look of the quilt. Also, I have done the pattern so many times it is a quick quilt for me to make when time is crunched.

Blog Entries
    Yes, I am in the same boat as you.

I have used several different patterns in making baby quilts. But I have one that I really like to use. Big 16 piece patchwork block with blocks appliqued with animal patterns taken from coloring books. Really cute. I have also appliquéd a "Daniel" figure along with the lions. I wish I could post pictures but I have a Mac and haven't figured out how to do it.

I find that when I'm pressed for time, I'll use a familiar pattern. Are you making quilts like that? Perhaps choosing a new baby quilt pattern and making it before there is even a child to give it to will help. No deadline - more creative freedom !

No, I use fabric panels, there is an incredible choice of different subjects etc. all very cute, it's fast, practical and very well received. if I make a baby - toddler quilt for someone special then I applique!

Power Poster
    Warm Wishes makes a great baby/toddler quilt and goes together fairly quickly. My "go to" pattern for a baby quilt is a 9-patch alternated with a square of fabric or a snowball block. When I've sandwiched the 9 -patch/snowball quilt, I like to quilt with variegated thread, with an "X" through the blocks. I've also used a zig-zag stitch, curving stitch or any number of the embroidery stitches on my Janome - I think it adds a little zip and the quilt is done in no time at all.

No, I don't repeat patterns,i LOVE to use new ones.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast