Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Reproduction White Background Fabric Ideas???

Reproduction White Background Fabric Ideas???

I am trying to locate solid white background fabric for an 1850-1860 reproduction red and green applique quilt I am planning. I would like a fairly thick fabric that will hold the large size applique shapes well, is not blindingly white, and not a broadcloth texture. I know little about the whites of that era, but it doesn't seem like the fabrics then were likely to be as 100% pure white as the modern fabrics are.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to who makes good background fabrics?

Thanks so much for any and all help!

How about Kona Snow? It's off white and very nice to work with.

I agree with Easy Peezy. Kona solids are some of the best in the industry and Kona Snow would be a very good choice.
    Jane

Blog Entries
    Kona makes one called “prepared for dye” or something like that and I bought a bolt of it. I love working with it.
    “Be the change you wish to see in the world.”
    ~Mahatma Ghandi

Marucs specializes in reproduction fabrics. Judie Rothermel designs the Centennial Solids line for Marcus; I don't know if they make a white, but there is sure to be a cream. They also have a line of aged muslins.

https://www.fatquartershop.com/nsear...tennial+solids
    https://www.fatquartershop.com/nsearch/?q=muslin+marcus
    Lisa

Have you considered muslin?

Power Poster
    They make white on white fabrics with small prints but they also make white on beige or cream that might work. I find that most of those have a good weight.

I always use Kona white when doing reproduction type quilts, I love the feel of it as does the recipient.
    Maria
    Always be true to yourself!

I'm using a Kona Porcelain. It's not bright white. I'm like you and I wouldn't tend to think they had bright white in the 1800s.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PamelaOry View Post
    Kona makes one called “prepared for dye” or something like that and I bought a bolt of it. I love working with it.
    what I was going to suggest--it doesn't have a weird finish on it and it seems little less sheer than most.

JoAnn's has a good, higher end white muslin that is just a little on the creamy side. They also have the traditional creamy muslin with the little brown flecks . As with all fabric, feel it and choose the one with the more dense thread count and the one that pleases you. I have found that there a variation in this product from JoAnn's but if I take the time to feel it out, I can get a good product that is not "wimpy" or see through. When I find the one I want, I buy the bolt. It is an investment that pays off for me.

Power Poster
    The Kona Cottons that I have used - purchased maybe 15 or more years ago - seemed to have more "heft" to them than the other quilting cottons I was using.

Kona makes several great white to off white colors...snow is probably the most popular, porcelain and bone . Hobby Lobby carries all of these colors I believe...always stacked on the wall.

Blog Entries
    Kona “Snow” is my favorite. I buy it by the bolt at Hobby Lobby or at Hancocks of Paducah when they have a sale.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Thank you all for you responses! You made it much easier for me to get the perfect background material.

I was able to get a sample of the Kaufman Kona "Snow" and have even washed it to see the "normal" look to the fabric, and you were right, it is going to be a great background for this reproduction quilt- definitely not too white, but not too dull or off-white.

Thanks again!