Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
REpurposing fabrics! >

REpurposing fabrics!

REpurposing fabrics!

Old 02-22-2011, 07:10 AM

Wow, all of these are great ideas to get me started...thank you.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:27 AM

Even if there is poly in them it may be very good for doll clothes.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:32 AM

I love using old clothing, etc in quilting. I think it's really the heart of quilting - when women wanted to make something "new" and useful for the home from what they had. There was once a time when people didn't buy-toss-buy. The line was, I think, "use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without" sharet
Old 02-22-2011, 07:39 AM

Just want to add that I LOVE the designer 100% cotton clothes at the thrift stores. Especially the Ralph Lauren florals. They are so yummy. I even buy shorts, they may not have a lot of fabric but one of these great fabrics looks really great in a scrap quilt, even if you only have 3 or 4 blocks.

I also felt the 100% wool fabrics.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:51 AM

Some great ideas here. DW and I was a thrift shop the other day and found some polyester yardage makes great rugs and will never wear out. I was looking at some hand embroidered table clothes and ask DW how I could make a quilt block from them? Did not buy them at this time. Has anyone made any thing from mens ties? Half price day they are $1.00 or less and they have alot. I would not worry about cutting up clothes they get more than they can sell and the $$ you give for it is more than they will get for rags or pay to get it hulled off. If we in the USA don't think we live in a land of plenty just vist a thrift shop. We are blessed.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
isn't it just FUN to take a cast off item and make it a NEW item?

I use a loom for my wool rugs, but want to learn how to make the tubes and braid them!
There is a tool for making the tubes, looks like a very large bias tape tool.
Hope this helps. I also make braided woven rugs.

:-)
Old 02-22-2011, 09:40 AM

I used a suede blazer this past Christmas and made a small purse and an even smaller tuck in bag for my granddaughter. I got it for $8 and I have enough left over to piece some other interesting items.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:41 AM

jaciqltznok -- Love your little doggie. What breed is it? We had once just like that that came from a small dog rescue, but didn't know the breed. We gave her another wonderful five years before she passed. Miss her terribly.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:43 AM

I can say i used boxer shorts .. here is the story and its a funny one. my FIL was given 3 packs of boxers for xmas one year. they were size 5x. way to big for dad. so one day we took them with out him knowing and the next xmas he got a quilt with the boxers in it.. he loved that quilt and would not let anyone use it and when he passed last year the boxershort quilt came back to me.. so that is my story of reusing lol
Old 02-22-2011, 09:54 AM

When I started in Crazy Quilting in 1997, in Sacramento, I had a dozen-literally-thrift stores in my working territory...I was in advertising sales at the time...and I would hit a thift store almost everyday. Since there were so many, I guess, their prices were very competitive. I could buy a full satin or velvet gown for $4 or $5. I would also buy silk blouses. And gowns with rinestones, lace or beautiful buttons were keepers. I once bought a dress, kept the mink that bordered the hem, and donated it back to the thrift store! Most crazies have depended on thrift stores for the fancy fabrics, because they are extremely expensive in the fabric stores, and almost never can be found in fat quarters! Brocades, moires, and Japnese fabrics were also great finds. I think I have enough fabric now that I don't buy as much...and now in Idaho, the two thrift stores are a lot more expensive than I used to shop in Sacto.
On my site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/52086995@N00/
I have a work in progress that is made mostly of cottons, from Judith Baker Montano's collection which are very rich in color. The Robert Kaufman fabrics she promotes are a silk/cotton combination and have a wonder sheen to them.