Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Request from my Great Nephew!! >

Request from my Great Nephew!!

Request from my Great Nephew!!

Old 12-29-2010, 09:32 PM

You know that new quilt will be loved, especially since he asked for it. And I agree, put his name on it, so he will know it was made just for him.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:34 PM

Yes, I have had such a wonderful request. Made my heart swell!

Nephew Aiden was 5 and I watched him daily while his parents worked, in their home. On some days we stayed indoors, I always brought my quilt patches with me to work on. I either cut patches, or pressed some open that had been sewn, or was squaring something up. Aiden always helped, he would stack and count them for me, and he loved to touch the warm patches right after they came from the iron.

I had made a quilt for their family room and he loved to roll himself in it and watch TV. He finally told me he wanted a quilt for himself as big as Mom's. So, we headed to equilter.com and looked for focus fabric, where he picked out a fabric called SPEED by Fabric Freedom, that had frames of race cars, racing boats, motorcycles, and other 'racing' vehicles.

It took me three months to figure out what I was going to do with it, but when I presented it to him on Thanksgiving day with the family all about, he laid it on the floor, took out all the wrinkles, stared at it a few minutes and then he jumped on it, spread eagle, belly down, yelling "I love it!".

Brought me to tears. He as so cute about it. Wouldn't let anyone touch it either. It goes to bed with him, he is wrapped in it in the mornings watching the tube, same in the evening, and then back to bed with his quilt. It goes to his summr cottage too. I'm beyond thrilled that he treasures it.

Diane
Old 12-29-2010, 09:59 PM

I have had such a sweet request, but I don't want to take away from your story. Little ones are so sweet. Makes me warm and bubbly just remembering about it.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by alimaui
What a wonderful story! Make sure to put his name on it, ha ha!
Have two patterns in mind one will have his name on front and the other would put it on the back - in big letters!!
Old 12-29-2010, 10:04 PM

How cute, be sure that you not only put his name and Birthdate on it, but also that you sign it for him to remember the gifts reason
Old 12-29-2010, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by hikingquilter
That is so sweet! How can you not comply? Please post a photo when you are done.
will do - not the worlds best with a camera but will have a go!!
Old 12-29-2010, 10:06 PM

Seeing all the comments proves there are some lovely kids out there - and yes he is a very sweet boy standing at 5'2" and only 9!!!
Old 12-29-2010, 10:43 PM

I love requests, especially from my family. You know he will cherish his quilt and always remember the kindness you show by making it for him.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:58 PM

Kids can be such a joy.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by Carol J.
One of my grandaughters asked me to make a king sized quilt for her for a wedding gift, so I did. Didn't matter what colors so I chose the pattern. Our DD got a request from her 18 year old grandson for a quilt in black red and white so she made it and gave it to him at his graduation from high school. Growing up with quilts made by mother and grandmother has given the young people in our family an appreciation for items made with love. None have ever been refused when given as gifts.

Carol J.
I think you're right! My whole family has never gotten anything but handmade gifts from me & my Niece's still tell me how they have treasured all I gave them over the years & still have them. My girls got quilts for Christmas this year & they really seem to love them. One of my DGD's asked for one also & got one. She immediately wrapped herself up in it. :-) Now I'm struggling with making 4 baby quilts for DGG's to be as the parents are all wanting one. LOL!!