Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Retro quilt top >

Retro quilt top

Retro quilt top

Old 07-10-2012, 07:43 AM

Default Retro quilt top

Dear all, I bought this quilt top off ebay. I love the retro colors. It is handstitched and huge - 94X116. It is made of all sorts of polyester knits. I intended for it to be a wall quilt, sort of a wallpaper-art.

Now, how should I proceed? It is just a top, how should I back it? It is pretty heavy, I don't think I need batting. Should I quilt it? Using utility stitches?
Any ideas are welcome! Thank you
Attached Thumbnails img_1342-003.jpg  
Old 07-10-2012, 08:00 AM

What a find! I can relate to how heavy it must be. I would probably not put a batting in it, unless very thin. I would probably use a bit more quilting as the weight of the squares when pulled or tugged( if you use it as a bed quilt) to reposition the quilt can couse the seaming threads to give. Quilting a bit closer will help that issue. Quilting it will also help some of the sag if you choose to hang it. Use a universal needle or ball point needle when quilting and I would increase the lenght of the stitch to a 3.0 or 3.5 .
Back it in what ever suits your fancy! If you use it as a bed quilt it will be one of the warmest quilts! ALL that poly and all those seam allowances will certainly keep you warm .. and probably from moving around to much under the weight.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:01 AM
Power Poster

That is a beautiful quilt top. I'm thinking that if it is really heavy it may not work on a wall, since it will tend to droop. I've never made a quilt with poly knits, but I believe those quilts were usually tied. It really is gorgeous, and lots of work must have gone into making it.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:37 AM

Thanks I am amazed by the amount of work put in as well- each square is 1 1/4 inch and all hand stitched!

Yes, I am concerned about the droop/sag if I use it as a wall quilt. I am thinking if quilting it closer helps, or if there is some sort of sticky fusible solution? I probably won't use it on a bed. Where I am, it is pretty warm all year round
Old 07-10-2012, 08:55 AM

Wow! That is really neat. I made poly quilts for all my children back in the day. They were backed with polyester and a thin flannel blanket was put in between. They were made out of 4 or 5 inch squares and tied in each corner. The kids still have those quilts and like Lori S said--they are so warm! I would take the advice of Lori S and quilt it very close to help control the sag you will get if you don't. Have fun and show a finished picture when you are through. You got quite a find!!
Old 07-10-2012, 08:56 AM
Power Poster

Wonderful quilt top! I think I would look for a fusible back for it too. Ideally a stable fabric that already had fusible on it would be great. That way you could block the top square on a big cement driveway? And fuse the fabric to it. You could then quilt it how you wanted and bind the edge. You could use a sheet and iron a fusible to it but it might be pricey.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:06 AM

Thanks Shankquilt and Tartan. The colors are so awesome, aren't they?

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Wonderful quilt top! I think I would look for a fusible back for it too. Ideally a stable fabric that already had fusible on it would be great. That way you could block the top square on a big cement driveway? And fuse the fabric to it. You could then quilt it how you wanted and bind the edge. You could use a sheet and iron a fusible to it but it might be pricey.
I was thinking of fusible solutions as well. But won't polys "melt" under the iron?
Hmm, thinking if there is some sort of spray glue where I can block, spray and stick to a stable flannel piece or sheet. Then quilt accordingly.
I think I am going to roll up the rug and "occupy" the living room for a while.. Hahaha...
Old 07-10-2012, 09:14 AM
Power Poster

Beautiful quilt, it will look great hanging. Good luck.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:17 AM
Power Poster

well there is a 505 basting spray. but i usually soak it out of my quilts later.
don't fret over hanging it. i'm sure you can find a way to hang it later that will do well. just getting it "quilted" first will be a job. good luck.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:00 AM

What about putting it on a light frame, like a picture? Quilting it would add more weight and it would probably droop without it. Boy that old polyester is indestructible isn't it?