Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Ribbons Box quilt pattern

Ribbons Box quilt pattern

The Ribbons Box quilt pattern calls for 12-1/3 yds. for the ribbons.
    Could I use 4-1 yd. instead?
    Would this be too much of the same?
    These are Christmas fabrics with high/bright contrasts.
    I posted a pic of these fabrics last year being not quite sure what to do with them...
    Thx. Jo

I've never done this pattern but I bet there is someone here that can answer your question.
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

http://cloud9fabrics.com/make-sew-ribbon-box-quilt/

In looking at pictures of the pattern and quilts that others have made, I would say no. There needs to be diversity and 4 compared to 12 is not variable enough. https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...tern&FORM=IGRE
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

I did a baby quilt using this pattern with 4 fabrics and it looked great!

I don't see why not, especially with enough contrast?

But maybe use some crayons or coloured pencils and do a quick sketch to see if you'd like the result?

you need to cut strips at 5" wide, and this is why a 1/4 won't work as it's only 9" wide.

You don't use the full two lengths, but you do need more than one so as long as you can cut 2 5" wide strips you are good to go. Doing some the same will save fabric as you should be able to get three ribbons out of two widths.

I think if your four fabrics were very different, you could make it work. However since you have 6 going one way and 6 the other, you'd probably end up with some of the same fabric crossing itself and that mute the effect of the weaving. You could get past that by enhancing which ribbon is on top with the quilting.
    Last edited by Macybaby; 11-28-2018 at 01:09 PM.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

If you use two of the fabrics going horizontal and the other two going vertical, then no fabric will cross itself. I think that could look very nice.

Thank you all!
    After digging through my Christmas stash again, I did find 2 additional fabrics that I think will compliment the original 4 if I need to go that direction.
    I do plan on serious sketching with graph paper as I think I have decided to make this the quilt I enter in the local quilt guild show next Sept. Many Thanks again!! Jo

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    If you use two of the fabrics going horizontal and the other two going vertical, then no fabric will cross itself. I think that could look very nice.
    \

Agree .... would give more of a plaid effect!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Blog Entries
    Name:  Christmas ribbon box quilt.jpg
Views: 1251
Size:  535.3 KBHere is the one I just finished. When I looked at the one on this QB I determined that there were 3 dark fabrics, 3 greens, 3 reds, and 3 ribbons. I found some fabric that was Christmas that had the ribbon effect. I also had a dark fabric with siloutes of trees. These two and the dark fabric with the ornaments I considered to be directional. So you have to watch which way you cut it and sew it in. I just loved the pattern and the way it turned out. Lots of fun making it. If you have any other questions, I'd be glad to answer.

Marcia

Thanks Barb! I may take you up on that once I start the project which will be after Jan.
    I had lunch yesterday with a quilting mentor and we crunched numbers and drew basic sketches, it was fun!
    One of my additional fabrics is only 1/2 yd, the DF was able to figure out how to cut so I can get a horizontal row and a vertical column
    If I use 6 fabrics I can use each in a vertical and a horizontal row/column.
    I am eager to get this started, but will wait until after the Holidays and have 42 blocks sitting by the SM patiently waiting.
    I'll be interested to hear what you use for binding.
    Since I have the goal to put this in the Local guild quilt show next Fall-Is there a preference for binding? One fabric? A Variety of fabric in the quilt?

Barb, Your quilt is beautiful! I do like the variety, I bet I make more than one!

Would love to see a picture Carly. I want to do a baby quilt using this pattern, but haven't figured it out yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by carly View Post
    I did a baby quilt using this pattern with 4 fabrics and it looked great!

Blog Entries
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman