Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Rick Rack Help >
  • Rick Rack Help

• Rick Rack Help

Old 05-14-2013, 02:11 PM

Well I sat down with the jumbo rick rack and sewed down the middle on a scrap piece of fabric with some of the rick rack. I found that I could pretty effortlessly sew the edges down. So that is what I'm doing, I'm following the curvature the ups and downs continuously all along the edge. A lot of lifting of the pressure foot I hope I don't wear it out :0)

I kind of agree with you JanTx that I wondered if I would regret not sewing down the edges of the jumbo as it might curl too much. But I do like the idea of the smaller letting it curl on some projects.

I'm going to shorten some of my jeans and make cropped pants for summer. I saw the cutest YouTube video, where she used batik fabric for the bottom to make a cuff and I think it screams for some rick rack on the fabric I've got my eye on to make the cropped hems. I guess I'm in a rick rack frame of mind! LOL

Here's a link to her video on youtube on how to make one of kind capris from your jeans in case anyone is interested.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVcFGTVzgNg

Last edited by onaemtnest; 05-14-2013 at 02:17 PM.
    Old 05-14-2013, 02:18 PM

The pictures of your baby quilts are adorable, thank-you for sharing pictures of them.

Originally Posted by JanTx
    When I use jumbo rickrack I laborously go over every edge of it - top and bottom. I use the FMQ foot to do this. For smaller RR I zig down the middle then try to catch it in the quilting if necessary. I use matching thread color to sew it down, but the quilting may be done in a different color.
    Next time - especially with the smaller ones - I'm going to go tactile and let it curl! (Not sure I want that look with the jumbo kind, though.)

Mine gets sewn on the top - before it's quilted. I don't usually quilt over it, but I have done so when I thought it needed tacked down a little more.

Here are some I've done with RR:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...y-t219595.html
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t197089.html
    Old 05-14-2013, 02:23 PM
    Power Poster

I would recommend shrinking it before using it. Just soak it in very hot water for an hour or so and let it drip dry - or roll it up in a towel and let it air dry.

I've had it shrink - - - and I didn't like the puckered look it created.