Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rickrack Question >

Rickrack Question

Rickrack Question

Old 11-10-2015, 02:02 PM

Default Rickrack Question

I just completed a baby quilt that featured jumbo rickrack across the middle of it. I followed a pattern that had you sew the rickrack on the quilt top, and then complete the quilt.

I quilted an all-over design, but did NOT quilt over the rickrack. Now on the back of the quilt, I see a narrow channel of unquilted area from the rickrack. It is not a large area, but it looks a little strange.

I would like to know how others have handled this--leave the small unquilted area alone? quilt over the rickrack? tear it apart?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Linda
Old 11-10-2015, 02:36 PM
Power Poster

I have normally not quilted my rickrack when on quilts. Sometimes you machine because of the thickness will skip some stitches. Mostly I use it in the borders.
Attached Thumbnails bq2gingerbreadmen.jpg   9-patch-corner.jpg  
Old 11-11-2015, 09:35 AM
Power Poster

If you have leftovers, why not make up a test sandwich and see how quilting over the rickrack goes. In addition to your straight stitch, check out the decorative stitches on your machine. For example, you might want to try a feather stitch through the rickrack.

I don't think there is any right way or wrong way to do this; only what you like best. Also, I think it highly unlikely anyone but you would notice the "oddness" of the back if you do not stitch through the rickrack. It's amazing what others don't see!
Old 11-11-2015, 09:51 AM
Power Poster

A few good ideas. I would not take it apart. Anxious to see it finished!
Old 11-11-2015, 12:45 PM

With the Jumbo Rickrack, you can actually just straight stitch following the curve of the edges of the rickrack. I've done it both ways.

I usually attach the Rickrack before I layer my quilt, though, so I don't have that straight line quilting going through to the back. I just have a narrow unquilted area where the rickrack is on top. I like the design of quilting just outside the edge of the rickrack. That narrow curvy space adds interest, in my opinion.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I have normally not quilted my rickrack when on quilts. Sometimes you machine because of the thickness will skip some stitches. Mostly I use it in the borders.
I don't have any experience quilting with ric rac....just want to say I LOVE the pink ric rac in the scalloped edge, Maniac!
Old 11-12-2015, 05:16 AM

I made a red and white quilt with large ric rac. I washed all my fabrics prior to making the quilt. I didn't even think about washing the ric rac. After the quilt was finished I washed it, and the ric rac bleed horribly. Just a warning.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:30 AM

Rickrack is notorious for folding over on itself if only sewn in the middle. I would try to get some sewing along the edges to hold them down. A zig-zag from corner would be cute and look nice on the back.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:44 AM

Leave the rick-rack. ot every square inch needs to be quilted, adds interest to the back of the quilt.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:26 PM

whatever you decide, please do not tear it apart. This is a baby quilt and will probably be laundered a lot. You do not want to have anything messing with the integrity of the fabric. I'm sure the spacing on the back is just fine.