Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ricky Tims Seminar >

Ricky Tims Seminar

Ricky Tims Seminar

Old 07-23-2015, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

I went to the Modesto, CA one last year and was almost overwhelmed with the amount of information given. I love the concept of getting a bound booklet with all the information from the seminar pre-printed. That way the attendee can focus on the presentation and add notes if desired. It is so different from having to take notes on a presentation.

My resolve to not spend any money went by the wayside as soon as I saw all those luscious hand-died fabrics.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:04 AM

I did enjoy the two lectures Ricky gave at Road last year and they weren't that much.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:16 AM

Thanks for the link! There is one in Portland!
Old 07-23-2015, 12:21 PM

I went to Modesto too, thanks to my friend Susan. Had a great time, he is very engaging, will sit and talk one on one, share ideas, his lectures were spot on, his material is first class, his piano playing was great too.
Worth it for many quilters who might need some inspiration in where they might go next with their quilting.

tim in san jose
Old 07-23-2015, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Oh, didn't realize it was a three day seminar plus a musical concert......so broken down as you did not a bad deal.....were you able to sleep in your own bed or have to hotel it? What sort of techniques does he demo?
It was about 3.5 hours from home, so we stayed at the hotel. My friend and I made it a girlfriend weekend, had time to catch up and totally enjoyed the seminar. We stayed Saturday night after it was over and both of us had trouble sleeping because we had so many ideas in our heads of things we wanted to try!

Here is a link to his quilt gallery on his site: http://www.rickytims.com/quiltgallery You can see on here the type of things he teaches. He went over cave man quilts, convergence quilts, kaleidoscope quilts, rhapsodie quilts and so very many things in between that I can't list them all. Alex Anderson did some sessions as well.

Last edited by Leslie333; 07-23-2015 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:31 PM

JENNRHR - Love your convergence quilt! Congrats for immediately applying what you learned. I'm torn on trying a regular convergence quilt first or doing 1 piece cave man style with some simple curved pieces, then converge it with 1 other fabric. Bought the hand dyed fabrics I want to use for that at the seminar. I know that Ricky would say to just do it and stop thinking about it! I just need to get caught up on some stuff around the house first.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:54 AM

"I had the opportunity, but just could not justify the tuition amount. I kept converting the number into yards of fabric I could buy instead!"

​My sentiments exactly! In all venues, not just quilting, ticket prices rise to what the market will bear. These quilting divas have lost their minds! It's outrageous . . .
Old 07-24-2015, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by SewHooked View Post
"I had the opportunity, but just could not justify the tuition amount. I kept converting the number into yards of fabric I could buy instead!"

​My sentiments exactly! In all venues, not just quilting, ticket prices rise to what the market will bear. These quilting divas have lost their minds! It's outrageous . . .
This is exactly how my mind works!
Old 07-24-2015, 05:26 AM

....hmmm interesting that Alex Andersen is part of the troupe......was this a "live" presentation or video?
Old 07-24-2015, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
....hmmm interesting that Alex Andersen is part of the troupe......was this a "live" presentation or video?
It was live. He also took questions from the audience by dropping them in a box, then they would do a few questions after each break. They had a couple of short videos to show specific things, but most of the close up shots on the large screens were live demo.