Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ripped My Border Strips But Still Got Curves!  Why? >

Ripped My Border Strips But Still Got Curves! Why?

Ripped My Border Strips But Still Got Curves! Why?

Old 02-17-2012, 09:45 AM

The fabric probably stretched at that point. Wet it and press it straight. Ripping should give straight of the grain lines, but sometimes the fabric will stretch. Best to rip across the fabric rather than down, but at least it was done quickly. I'm sure you can fix this when you get ready to sew the borders on.

Originally Posted by wishfulthinking View Post
After reading through some posts on the board, I decided to try ripping my long border strips. Ripped down the long selvedge edge and I really liked the results...except that so far, two out of six have a slight but distinct curve at each end. Ever had this happen? Is it something I did during the ripping process? I'd sure appreciate some input on this. I was really excited about doing it this way cause it sure seems like I can't cut through more than one fold without getting the dreaded "V." Thanks!
Old 02-17-2012, 01:06 PM
Power Poster

I have ripped the border strips down the long selvedge edge and it worked well, except maybe for the threads. However, you also need to measure down the middle of the quilt and make sure that both borders wind up with that measurements. I often measure the middle of the quilt, then pin the ends, middle and in between for the border and it seems to work well. Just a suggestion.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:07 PM

Ripping should be done mainly for sewing to get fabric on the grain and does not work in quilting. You cannot help but distirt the fabric with all the pulling on it.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:24 PM

I rip borders, sashing, binding: anything that has long strips. Never had a problem.

Just cut offending ends off and get to sewing.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:44 PM

After reading through some posts on the board, I decided to try ripping my long border strips. Ripped down the long selvedge edge and I really liked the results...except that so far, two out of six have a slight but distinct curve at each end. Ever had this happen? Is it something I did during the ripping process? I'd sure appreciate some input on this. I was really excited about doing it this way cause it sure seems like I can't cut through more than one fold without getting the dreaded "V." Thanks!
When ripping fabric you get straight rips but it does stretch the fabric. I always use a good startching and heavy steam allowing to dry before moving. This makes every thing go back into pace..
Old 02-17-2012, 09:04 PM

Press the strips...mist with water or spray starch...they will straighten out. I rip all the time.
Always press as you go when making a quilt, or even when making clothing...you get a much neater finish.
Marge C

Old 02-18-2012, 05:54 AM

your first mistake was ripping your strips..that causes the fabric to ruffle, cut them with a rotary cutter like everyone else and they will lay flat. ripping distorts the fabric.
katz
Old 02-18-2012, 04:24 PM

Before rotary cutters we used to rip, but it does tend to sort of spread the fibers at each end. When I used to rip, I always made the strip about a foot longer to avoid the problem -- cut off 6 inches from each end and the curve is gone. Only works if the piece is a bit over long, however. Rotary cutters are even better than sliced bread.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:21 AM

No more ripping for me ever. did this once, sewed the strip on, the outside edge multiplied it was a diasaster, Removed it put a different border on and recut the strips into something else. I believe it distorts the fabric. It might work for others, it may have been that particular fabric........
Old 02-22-2012, 04:42 AM

personally, being in that age group where ripping fabric was the preferred method, the fabric of the sixties and seventies was of a better quality than today's. I wouldn't try to rip fabric today, yes you get curves because of the quality of fabirc you have. Pratice cutting with a roller blade or regular shears. Use a pencil and draw a line for the width of your border and cut on the line.