Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
ripping yardage? >

ripping yardage?

ripping yardage?

Old 05-26-2011, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Central Ohio Quilter
The best alternative - pulling a thread to get the straight of grain. Doesn't stretch the edges and you still get the straight of grain. And yes.... there ARE some of us who DO still care about of straight of grain ... especially on long pieces like borders.

Here is a link to my tutorial on how to pull a thread.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-114232-1.htm
I hope I'm not being rude, but people need a tut on pulling a thread? That's kindergarten stuff!
Old 05-26-2011, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by krisgray
Originally Posted by Maggiesmom
Have you ever bought a yard of fabric that had been cut for you and taken it home only to find it to be terribly crooked? Snip it, tear it and you will find that you really don't have a yard of fabric. I don't know how many half yards I have had cut that end up maybe only 15-16 full inches wide across the 42+ inches. My mother was a terrific seamstress. She always tore her fabric to get it straight before she cut out a pattern. That's what they did in the "olden" days.
Yes! I bought a panel that was so skewed there were parts that I could not use. I pulled and pulled but I got mine off the last half of the bolt. Guess all that tearing pulled it all out of whack.
I'd never tear fabric for a panel. Nope, nope, nope.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:55 AM

Well, some of us didn't learn it in kindergarten, so we appreciate the tut.

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
Originally Posted by Central Ohio Quilter
The best alternative - pulling a thread to get the straight of grain. Doesn't stretch the edges and you still get the straight of grain. And yes.... there ARE some of us who DO still care about of straight of grain ... especially on long pieces like borders.

Here is a link to my tutorial on how to pull a thread.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-114232-1.htm
I hope I'm not being rude, but people need a tut on pulling a thread? That's kindergarten stuff!
Old 05-27-2011, 04:11 AM

I will admit I am a tearer. I only cut things that are small enough to be done without running out of ruler. The strings and ravel drive me crazy but it is the only way I can get straight lines. It is amazing how crooked fabric is when it comes off the bolt. I guess the machines that wind it are not calibrated or maintained.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:59 PM

I prefer to tear my border fabric. Rest of it can be torn or cut.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:49 PM

We were just talking about this at guild this week. One of my LQS's does that. I guess I don't mind, but I do feel like I lose a little bit.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:22 AM

When I was dyeing fabric for sale, I ripped the pieces, cut a little off each corner diagonally, then started the scrubbing pretreat. Clipping the corners diagonally helped with the ravel problem.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:13 AM

I prefer it is cut also. "they" say that it is on the grainline when they rip. I have never had a piece that you could even iron straight. Lost over an inch once on a one yard piece. They either cut for me, or I don't buy. :(
Old 05-31-2011, 08:53 AM

oohhhhh.....my Mom used to be a seamstress and when I started to make quilts, I had asked her how to get an even edge on the material. She had said to start by pulling threads from the cut end of the material and keep pulling until you get to a thread that goes the width of the material. It does give a true edge, BUT when less expensive fabric is used, the weave itself is sometimes WAY WAY off, thus giving an even more crooked edge.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
Originally Posted by CorgiNole
I made the mistake of tearing flannel for one project. That made it much much worse - lost a lot of inches too. So I'll stick to just tearing cottons.

K
most of the flannel I've used is cotton. What are you using? a poly-cotton blend?
I thought it was 100% cotton, though I did not think to check at Joann's when I bought it. Online information says yes - 100% cotton... But there is not a noticeable grain.

Cheers, K