Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rocky Mountain Sew Expo in Denver >

Rocky Mountain Sew Expo in Denver

Rocky Mountain Sew Expo in Denver

Old 01-03-2010, 07:54 AM

I am just wondering if anyone has attended this expo in the past or is planning on attending this year? I am really considering taking a day off work to go. I have never been to a sewing expo before and would really like to know what to expect from someone who has attended.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:01 AM

I saw that there are several quilters from Colorado who are members of this group. However, I am thinking that these expos are probably pretty similar all over the country. Is it like a bazaar to buy things, or more of a place to show off what is offered by various manufacturers? I have been to home and garden expos and it seems more like businesses trying to get you to hire them to do stuff for you. I also have been to gun shows where it is all about purchasing items. So, I am wondering which end of the spectrum a sewing expo falls nearer to. I am hoping it is a place to get some great ideas and some great items.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:55 AM
Power Poster

Check it out online... Ours here has classes as well as vendors selling and demonstrating items :D:D:D
I signed up for a brochure to be mailed out for ours next month but all of the same info is available online :D:D:D
Old 01-03-2010, 12:10 PM

I will. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by MistyMarie
I am just wondering if anyone has attended this expo in the past or is planning on attending this year? I am really considering taking a day off work to go. I have never been to a sewing expo before and would really like to know what to expect from someone who has attended.
Hi Mistymarie,

I went to this event every year when I lived in Denver. Educators offer classes/demonstrations at these events.
Some would probably be of interest to you.

Also, there are many vendor booths. I always enjoyed looking at all of them to see the new products and patterns that were available. It is fun to see all of the many ways people express themselves through sewing. It always seemed to inspire me to try something new, or gave me ideas of things I would like to make.

Only you know if you can afford to take a day off from work, but if you don't think your boss would mind, I think you would have fun going to the expo.

There is another event held at the same venue in July. It is the Craft and Sewing Festival run by RustyBarn Productions. This event is held on Thurs - Sunday, so you could attend this one without missing work. RustyBarn Productions has a website (google it) so you could get an idea of what it is about and they will email you a discount coupon for admission.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:52 PM
Banned

Do you know the dates of this? Am wondering if I could get over the mountains to it.....but that would have to be springtime :)
Old 01-03-2010, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by BKinCO
Do you know the dates of this? Am wondering if I could get over the mountains to it.....but that would have to be springtime :)

I just went to www.quiltcraftsew.com to look at Rusty Barn events calender.

The two events held in Denver at the Merchandise Mart are:
Rocky Mtn Sewing Expo Feb. 4-6 Thur-Sat.
and the
Sewing Craft Festival July 8 -10 Thur - Sat

If they are doing things the same way, and I imagine they are, the event in February is focused on sewing and quilting. The event in July is focused on quilting and other crafts, including hand embroidery, rubber stamping, etc.

You will see many of the same vendors at both of these events.

I always went to both and enjoyed them, but I lived in Denver so it way easy for me to do so. I hope this helps.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:37 PM

I have a couple of personal days left, but wanted to know if it was worth taking a day off to go. I guess I could go on Saturday this time and then over the summer (when I am off and can get my cousin to babysit) I will actually take some classes. I don't do classes much. What I really need to take is a long-arm class, but I don't think my LQS offers one that will translate to the machine I have. Thanks for the information.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:48 PM

I haven't been to either of those expos but I usually get to the quilt show at the first of May every year. There are always gorgeous quilts and tons of vendors and classes.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:19 AM

I attend this expo each year and find the latest things in techniques, products, and great classes. Some of them are "sew and go" so you get to experience the medium to see if you want to do it. The same people also hold one in the fall of the year at the same place. To me, it's well worth the money. BRING WALKING SHOES!!!!!