Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: rolling a quilt from both sides when machine quilting?

rolling a quilt from both sides when machine quilting?

Do most people roll the quilt in from both sides when machine quilting? I do and then roll again the part in front of me and feed it thru like that.

My husband wants to put up a desktop that has a back and shelves. It's only 30" deep. Right now I have a table set away from the wall so the quilt can fall off the back when it gets close to the wall.

Am I doing it wrong?

Nothing is wrong if it works for you. I quilt with my table against the wall, which supports the quilt behind the macine so it doesn't pull. I also bunch or puddle the quilt rather than rolling. Works great for me but again, whatever works for you is what you should do.
    BJ Chadwick

Blog Entries
    You might want to consider using a "suspender" system for quilting. That would take up the back part of the quilt, plus make free motion easier. Rolls are a lot harder to handle, in my opinion.

http://www.jennoop.com/suspenders.html

or you can make your own:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...e-t250308.html

Nothing is wrong if it works for you as bjchad mention. I have excellent support on my left side so there is no need to roll the quilt up on that side. Only roll up the section that is going thru the throat. The problem when the quilt falls off the back is that the weight of that quilt is going to be tugging while you are trying to machine quilt. Let him build you better support and you will find it so much easier to quilt.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Power Poster
    If it works for you, then continue. I prefer to have all my quilt up on the table loose with the 12 inch square I am working on puddled around the needle.

I agree that if it works for you, that is what you should do. I used to roll, but now "puddle" - just gather it up around me and have the part I am working on under the needle.
    Alyce

I was taught to roll the quilt on both sides. Now I do a combo of rolling and making a "puddle" depending on where I am in the quilt. In any case I need a LOT more practice.

I'm a "puddler" too. I think Leah Day called that the "smash, smash, flatten" method, lol. I have a table behind my machine and another making an "L" shape to my left, so I can drape most of the quilt onto tables and just sort of cram the part I'm working on under the needle. I don't like rolls, to me they get in the way.

I use to roll the quilt from each side. I stopped that way back and now I quilt down the center both ways and quilt 1/4 at a time.
    Do what works for you.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I find that when I roll the quilt is harder to move around.. I puddle, scrunch all around as I need to. Do what works for you though. I want to get hooks on my ceiling but I just never have. I will probably try command hooks at first to see how it goes

puddling is a lot easier than rolling IMHO
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

I like to put a small folding table. 2'x4' behind my quilting table so my quilt doesn't fall off the back side. I don't like the weight of the quilt falling to add extra pull on my needle. I also am a buncher, not a roller. I find it easier to move the quilt, and normally fmq diagonally across the quilt.

I am a puddler too! Rolling my quilt never did work for me.
    Susan

I tried rolling the first time I started FMQ a quilt but discovered puddling actually takes up less room in the harp. It's also faster.
    If life gives you lemons, make Limoncello!

Blog Entries
    I don't roll. I stuff. I learned by watching a video called fluff and stuff by Paula Reid.

Blog Entries
    I roll. but i only do twin's or smaller now. otherwise they go to a LAQ.