Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Roman shade quilt pattern???????

Has anyone heard of this pattern? No it's not a window shade pattern. :lol:

I've done a search but can't find it.

A lady in JoAnn's today told me about it, she says it's very easy and makes a great baby quilt.

Blog Entries
    I googled and found a Quilted Roman Shade.

Yes, that's all I found too but this is a quilt. She drew me a rough picture of it. It is made with triangle. Thanks for trying.

I have never heard of one but would love to see one when done.

This may be what you're looking for: http://quilting.about.com/od/blockof...man_square.htm

MTS
    Banned
    She's right, it us a very easy baby quilt. It has a triangle look to it.

Here's the block (with some fugly fabric). That's not the right setting. The one I'm familiar with is common in Amish quilts.
    Can't seem to find a pic right now.

http://www.swakembroidery.com/info/s...Stripe_8x8.htm

Here's one - but I've seen, and prefer, an on-point setting.

http://www.amishcountrylanes.com/Pages/hs4686.shtml

Thank you, Rita. That isn't what she described but I like it and I may just use that pattern.

She took a triangle ruler off the peg at JoAnn's and showed me how to cut the stips. She said make a long stip, then using the ruler cut at an angle, then turn the ruler the other way and cut again. I've seen this done in some videos but they weren't making the pattern she was talking about. Oh boy, I'm confused. :roll:

MTS
    Banned
    Here's the setting I was referencing.

http://www.laurafisherquilts.com/sho...-sku-10032.htm

Yes!!! I think that its the one!! http://www.swakembroidery.com/info/s...Stripe_8x8.htm

I remember now she said you would keep adding strips! I guess she just had the name wrong. I remember now that she also said the Amish use it a lot.
    Thank you, MTS!!!!!!! :D

I have made a roman shade quilt to match the quilt on my bed--I love it. Just made it to size. I am starting another one now in a scene. Hubby does the mechanics of the shade.

MTS
    Banned
    Roman Stripe is the name I've always heard and used.

The block is super easy - here's a .pdf with some basic instructions. How you set them is your preference.
    Since you essentially end up with the equivalent of a HST in terms of coloring/value, you can set this any number of ways, including all the variations of a log cabin quilt - Lightening, Barn Raising, Sunshine and Shadows, etc.

http://www.maryquilts.com/wp-content...d-strings1.pdf

Have fun!

Thank you again, MTS. I've saved a copy of it. Everyone on this board is soooooooooo kind!

Blog Entries
    thanks for the link

Quote Originally Posted by CindyinNY
    Yes!!! I think that its the one!! http://www.swakembroidery.com/info/s...Stripe_8x8.htm

I remember now she said you would keep adding strips! I guess she just had the name wrong. I remember now that she also said the Amish use it a lot.
    Thank you, MTS!!!!!!! :D

Is this what you are looking for? If you PM me, I can sort of explain how I did this but I didn't have a pattern. It was an easy one to put together but working on a bias was tricky. My quilter did a wonderful job hiding the imperfections. The links being sent to you are pretty good.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nannya54
    Is this what you are looking for? If you PM me, I can sort of explain how I did this but I didn't have a pattern. It was an easy one to put together but working on a bias was tricky. My quilter did a wonderful job hiding the imperfections. The links being sent to you are pretty good.

Love the effect the print triangle gives, it really started my thinking process of possibilities.

There is a book for making roman shades that explains just how to make them - I think you can google it or get it through Amazon

MTS
    Banned
    Am I the only one that wonders if anyone reads more than just the title of a topic?

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!
    mts,
    I am fairly new and have a question. on the roman shade block shown in your link; what is the point of the interfacing or muslin?
    thanks
    cherri

MTS
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cherrio
    mts,
    I am fairly new and have a question. on the roman shade block shown in your link; what is the point of the interfacing or muslin?
    thanks
    cherri
    ROMAN STRIPE BLOCK. :wink:

The muslin is used as a foundation to stabilize the block. You use a flip-and-sew method to place your strips, without really worrying about bias or size (well, as long as it covers the muslin). And then you can trim it down to whatever size you want, and you have a perfectly square block with straight edges. And that's always a nice thing to have. :wink:

You could just as easily use paper, or even pages from the telephone book. ;-) .

The thing about muslin is you don't have to remove it like you do paper. But paper is cheaper. There was very recently a humongous thread on the different types of foundations, and the pros and cons of each so I'm not going to go into that here.
    But they all are serve the same purpose.

Depending on your choice of construction, there are other ways to go about making this, especially if you're going to be using the SAME strips in every block. ;)

But it's a really simple block, and while most of the examples given here are Amish in style, you can certainly go to town on your fabric choices. I've always thought they looked a bit like baskets (when on-point), so florals is also one way to go. B&W with brights would make a great kids quilt. Endless options.

So go make one.
    And then post a picture. :wink: :wink:

Thanks for posting this, I saved it so I can use it to make one of the many baby quilts needed for this year. So far, including my DDIL and DD, I have 9 relatives or friends who are expecting! This looks like something I could do rather quickly & get great results. Everyone on this board is such a great resource!

I blew my response to this post--thought you meant Roman Shade as in curtain. OK I get it.

Quote Originally Posted by MTS
    Am I the only one that wonders if anyone reads more than just the title of a topic?
    No, MTS you aren't the only one.
    I always try to read carefully so I get it straight and reply to what the post is about. I find this happens alot on forums though.
    I guess I should have tried for a better title. OH well, thanks to you I have what I was looking for.
    Thanks again. :)

Blog Entries
    Looks like the results tube quilting gives you.

MTS
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CindyinNY
    No, MTS you aren't the only one.
    I always try to read carefully so I get it straight and reply to what the post is about. I find this happens alot on forums though.
    I guess I should have tried for a better title. OH well, thanks to you I have what I was looking for.
    Thanks again. :)
    Your title wasn't the issue I was referencing. ;) ;) ;) ;)
    I look forward to seeing your finished Roman Stripe Quilt.

Check out Quilters Cache. There are 2 Roman block designs under the R index and hopefully one of them is the one you are looking for.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast