Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rookie Mistake >

Rookie Mistake

Rookie Mistake

Old 06-18-2011, 11:39 AM

How many times have I read all the steps one should go through when there is a *problem* with the machine? It's been seared into my brain from reading the posts (and ahem ... contributing) again and again and again. But did I practice what we (I) preach?

There must have been a bad spot on the bobbin wind and the machine gave me a ka-chunk and rewarded me with spaghetti on the bottom. No problem, snip, remove bobbin, check, go.

Two stitches and had problems again but now the symptoms are worse. Loud noises, seizing, needle refuses to move - etc.

Removed the whole bobbin case, gave it a thorough cleaning, changed the needle, changed the bobbin. Still having serious problems with the machine. Basically I did everything EXCEPT that one all important step.

We have a problem with the bobbin so we concentrate on the bobbin area don't we?

In a state of panic that my beloved Janome was on death's bed I called the dealer and the FIRST thing she asked was ... did I re-thread the machine.

Well of course not!! I'm not a "rookie", I'm an experienced sewer I knew the problem was in the bobbin area so I concentrated all my efforts on the bobbin area now didn't I?

Rookie mistake number 1. Re-thread the whole machine you dope. When the machine hit a bad spot on the bobbin and 'choked' the thread jumped out of the UPPER tension discs and the machine will continue to seize no matter HOW clean and pristine that bobbin area is.

Will I make this mistake again?

probably :)
Old 06-18-2011, 11:41 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol: Do as I say, not as I do :lol: :lol: :lol: (Been there :oops: )
Old 06-18-2011, 11:42 AM

Been there, done that :oops:
Old 06-18-2011, 11:52 AM
Google Goddess

thanks for letting us know so we can all learn by your problem

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
How many times have I read all the steps one should go through when there is a *problem* with the machine? It's been seared into my brain from reading the posts (and ahem ... contributing) again and again and again. But did I practice what we (I) preach?

There must have been a bad spot on the bobbin wind and the machine gave me a ka-chunk and rewarded me with spaghetti on the bottom. No problem, snip, remove bobbin, check, go.

Two stitches and had problems again but now the symptoms are worse. Loud noises, seizing, needle refuses to move - etc.

Removed the whole bobbin case, gave it a thorough cleaning, changed the needle, changed the bobbin. Still having serious problems with the machine. Basically I did everything EXCEPT that one all important step.

We have a problem with the bobbin so we concentrate on the bobbin area don't we?

In a state of panic that my beloved Janome was on death's bed I called the dealer and the FIRST thing she asked was ... did I re-thread the machine.

Well of course not!! I'm not a "rookie", I'm an experienced sewer I knew the problem was in the bobbin area so I concentrated all my efforts on the bobbin area now didn't I?

Rookie mistake number 1. Re-thread the whole machine you dope. When the machine hit a bad spot on the bobbin and 'choked' the thread jumped out of the UPPER tension discs and the machine will continue to seize no matter HOW clean and pristine that bobbin area is.

Will I make this mistake again?

probably :)
Old 06-18-2011, 12:02 PM

Yep!!! Been there, done that AND got the tee shirt!!!! :roll: :roll: :thumbup:
Old 06-18-2011, 12:06 PM

Ditto, often it takes time to get my brain into gear.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:06 PM

That's okay i'm a rookie to quilting but not to sewing and I still run into the same issue from time to time, and I forget to re-thread the machine. I get so busy concentrating on what is going on in the lower part of machine I forget to check the upper.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:14 PM
Power Poster

Ditto here!
Old 06-18-2011, 12:22 PM

I have done things like that, too. I was doing applique work and thought that I had ruined/tore up both of my Janomes's. Took them in the serviceman got things up and running just fine. Brought them back home and after about 5 minutes, everything was messed up again. took my machines back and lo and behold, discovered that the heat'n bond on the back of the applique was gumming up my needle and thread. I learned several lessons that day.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:26 PM

I just struggled with that exact thing on my machine this week? I have been sewing for 50 years!