Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
rorary blades >

rorary blades

rorary blades

Old 01-23-2019, 04:53 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by StephanieR View Post
Is there a perfect blade or cutter out there? It seems that no matter which one I look at there will be negative reviews against it. It's so hard to know what to believe or if it's even possible for there to be the perfect one. So frustrating!
Stephanie, I have probably every cutter known to man and honestly I like them all. As long as they have a good blade in them I have no problems at all. But I get stingy sometimes about changing them. Stupid, I know!
Blades though- I don't buy cheap ones. I always get name brands. If you look around you can get bargains.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

I have oodles of cutters. I like to try new ones even new colors of them. My favorite hands down is the Quilter's Select rotary cutter. It's weighted so not much pressure is needed to cut.

One time I found a going out of business sale of Olfa rotary cutters and to buy one was cheaper then buying a new blade. I bought all the shop had. I never pass up a great sale. I always need nice gifts for my sew group, door prizes for guild, and sale table. I save more money then what it cost in the long run.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:03 PM

I love the Kai rotary cutter
Old 01-24-2019, 01:59 PM
Power Poster

they stick due to the oil on them. careful of them.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:16 PM

I feel like my name brand blades don't last long at all before they start to skip. I drove myself crazy thinking is it the blade, my mat, the way I'm holding this, the fabric? No, think it's just a dull blade. I really feel like I'm not cutting much yardage before I need a new one.

I just changed my blade last night and my sewing room is in my finished basement. I brought the blade upstairs thinking maybe the dampness in the basement is effecting its longevity. We'll see.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:29 PM

If they are stuck too tight. Put them on a flat surface some pressing cloth on top and a warm iron. This will loosen up the oil. Using tweezers or other things to pry them apart might nick the blade.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:04 PM
Power Poster

[QUOTE=Quilt30;8199188]If they are stuck too tight. Put them on a flat surface some pressing cloth on top and a warm iron. This will loosen up the oil. Using tweezers or other things to pry them apmart might nick the blade.[/tQUOTE]

good suggestion. thank you. i will try that the next time i need to separate blades.

i was surprised to learn that oil can "dry out".
Old 01-25-2019, 08:07 AM

How long do you expect a blade to last? The current blade is an OLfa. I have cut 42 layer cake squares - 6 cuts each, and probably five 2 1/4" inch strips cut into squares. Yesterday, the blade starting leaving a thread with each revolution. I have not dropped it or had it near pins or scissors. When I put it down it's on the big Olfa mat and I'm cutting on the rotating 12" Olfa mat. This is ridiculous.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:40 PM

I hate to admit this but I'm chintzy with blades. I use one far too long, I'm sure, because a) they are expensive, b) I'm afraid of running out, and c) I have issues disposing of them. I've begun putting used blades in a clean store bought frosting can -- after the frosting is gone, of course. Why it has to be clean, I don''t know; that's just who I am, lol. These little 4 inch plastic cans have a tight snap on lid and I feel the blades are secure even when the can is in the trash.....and a can holds a lot of blades.
Old 01-25-2019, 01:07 PM

When my blades are stuck together I use a hair dryer on them and they slide apart no problem.. I have to try the magnet way.