Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary Blade >

Rotary Blade

Rotary Blade

Old 10-13-2017, 05:52 PM

I have several different cutting mats and have noticed that my blades last longer on some than on others. Also a blade that seems dull and has started skipping on one will cut like it’s new on another.

Rob
Old 10-13-2017, 06:29 PM

I hate to give up on a blade so I use them as long as they are not so dull that they frustrate me. I also try to change blades when I start to cut a project and not when I am in the middle of cutting out pieces for a pattern. I really try to pinch the pennies.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:31 PM

I'm another that only changes blades when the skipping gets really bad. Then again, I'm not normally a prolific quilter/sewist either. Same thing with needles. They tend to only get changed when they break - which isn't too often!
Old 10-13-2017, 10:23 PM

I have a sharpener for rotary blades, and its the bomb! I sharpen mine when they get dull/ skip, and they last longer that way. The blade that came with my KAI cutter has rust spots on the sides of the blade (!!!) but it *still* cuts better than the new ones from Wally World. I think it a tungsten steel blade, because it is really better than the usual ones.
Old 10-14-2017, 03:36 AM

I have a love/hate relationship with my rotary blade sharpener. I have the first electric one that they put out and it’s very fiddly about getting the stones in just right and getting the blades aligned just so. But once you do that it does a good job. I also have one of the rulers that has the sharpener on the edge and I use that fairly frequently which also helps extend the life of my blades.

And, I have to confess to taking a dulled blade out of my cutter, turning it around and putting it back in, which works well enough to get through a project in a pinch.

I use needles until they start to sound dull, then they get tossed. I check them for straightness before use and f not perfectly straight they get tossed as well.

My vintage Kenmore came all set up and “ready to sew” with an amazingly bent (and threaded) needle. fortunately the person who had been sewing with it that way had the zigzag needle plate on the machine!

Rob
Old 10-14-2017, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by AVFD215 View Post
Dull blades are harder on the cutting mat as well as well as the arms.
Mike
Absolutely true, Mike! The other night I found myself "sawing" with my blade (which was my second one in a week because the brand is so bad). When I was finished, I was shocked to see the cuts in my mat. Poor thing. Plus I found my elbow hurting and that rarely happens to me.

Good thing that was the last of my pack of so-called sharp, new blades.

I've tried several different brands and when i try to be cheap (anything buy Olfa) I regret it.
Old 10-14-2017, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
Anyone else pinch pennies that bad?
I do the same. I bought a pack of ten blades several years ago. Must be more than five. Very expensive. I think I am still on the first blade. Perhaps it is the second, but it has been so long I surely can't remember changing blades.

When the blade starts to skip a thread or two quite consistently, I just cut each line twice right away or pull the fabric away to see if it is cut. Haven't had a lot of problems. Most of the time it cuts great.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:01 AM
Power Poster

I change blades at the first skip. If the blade doesn't cut like brand new why would I want to use it?
Old 10-14-2017, 09:06 AM

I try to get the most mileage from my rotary blades but sometimes have an OOPS! moment that forces a change. For instance, last week shortly after putting in a new blade I ran off the mat and onto the metal top of my cutting table. That did it for that blade.

I attended a demonstration by a Clover rep about sewing notions. One of the things he said about needles stuck with me. "With the cost of machines these days, why risk damaging it with an old needle? Consider the cost of servicing or replacing the machine against the cost of a new needle." I know he represents the company selling needles but I think that makes sense. I'm changing needles a lot more often now, especially on my sit down longarm. I've been buying needles in bulk to cut costs.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:26 AM

oh yeah....!!!!! I would kill to have a blade that lasts that long. I, however, use a super fine sanding stone (?) that DH gave me and I use it to sharpen my blades. It works pretty good. I usually sharpen the blades when I watch a program so I don't feel it 'cuts' into my sewing time....(couldn't help the pun). I have purchased about 3 5pk. 45mm and 60mm blade pkgs.so I'm really hoping not to have to purchase anymore for a long time. I did buy a titanium blade at WM but haven't tried it as yet. Has anyone used this type of blade??? If so, how is it? TIA!!!