Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary Cutter Blades >

Rotary Cutter Blades

Rotary Cutter Blades

Old 07-22-2013, 04:52 AM

A couple of yrs ago I bought the cutting table and the large matt from JoAnns. Then a month later bought a brand new rotary cutter from the quilt show, this thing cut fantastic. I took it home and only after a few cuts it seemed like it was dull, so I was upset because I thought I'd been dupped at the show. I pulled out one of my other cutters that I knew worked great, same result. It took me a little time to figure out that it wasn't the blade it was the matt. It wasn't self healing so once it had been cut on a few times that area would only cut the fabric hit and miss. I used a different section of the matt and all was fine. Now I just put on my self healing matt and only use the table top sized matt to protect the cutting table. Try your blades with either a different matt or on the reverse side to see if its the blade or the matt that is the real problem. I've saved many of blades since using this practice.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Gramily View Post
Take your blade out of the cutter periodically and clean the blade and under the blade. Lint gets packed in there and causes skips while cutting. I also put a dab of machine oil or silicone on a Q tip and wipe the blade and the area where the blade sits. Emily
I find caring for your cutter like this is as important as caring for your machine. BUT I must agree with some of the other ladies I can't get on with Olfa blades, even the titanium ones didn't last as long as the ones that I use, Westcott. I have one in my cutter which is months and months old and I do a LOT of cutting.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:09 PM

I contacted Olfa regarding my dull blade for my rotary cutter. Received a response from them today stating that they would send me a replacement. The response was quick and I am pleased with their customer service.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:00 PM

I'm one of the people who have had good luck with the Harbor Freight blades. I stocked up on them a couple of years ago when someone on QB noticed how cheap they were.

The only time one of the HF blades dulled quickly was when I was using a cheap little mat that came with a block of the month kit. It was the perfect size to take with me to my brother's pool and cut fussy-cut hexagons for my granddaughter's eye spy quilt. I realized it was the crappy mat that had dulled the blade. Now I have a small Olfa to bring with me.