Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary Cutter Direction >

Rotary Cutter Direction

Rotary Cutter Direction

Old 12-27-2017, 05:10 AM

Wonder how many years I've been putting my cutter together wrong and how much money could have been saved on blades? Thank you ladies for your replies. Going to take some nail polish and mark the handle of the correct (new) cutter so that I know which way to install a new blade....taking pictures with my I phone also!!
Old 12-27-2017, 08:49 AM

Laying the pieces out in a row will help when reassembling them. Years ago, my grandfather told me how to take something apart and make sure when you reassembled it, you didn't end up with 'extra' pieces. I have used this tip every time I clean out my machine. I attach a piece of tape to the counter and as I take out a screw or piece I lay it in order on the tape. That way, even if I jiggle the counter, nothing moves. After cleaning, it all goes back in the reverse order. You would be amazed how 2 screws may look alike, but are just a slight bit different! Granted, we are all very familiar with our sewing machines, but this tip has saved me many headaches when working on other items and it is a good habit to have.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:50 AM

Hmmm! Great topic and responses! I will be checking my rotary cutters in a few minutes to make sure they are assembled correctly. I used to use Olfa and Fiskars mainly but I got a Martelli rotary cutter earlier this year which I love but I had a hard time replacing the blade. I better look for a video to make sure I did it right because the blade seemed to get dull faster than the original one.

Connie