Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary Cutter & Mat >

Rotary Cutter & Mat

Rotary Cutter & Mat

Old 05-16-2011, 10:05 AM

My rotary cutter is just wearing out and my mat is the reason i'm sure, it's really getting cut up. My question is.

Opinion, What do you use, and do you like it?

Thanks so much : )
Old 05-16-2011, 10:10 AM
Power Poster

green self-healing mat- made for rotory cutters- fiskar's and olfa rotory cutters...
blades need to be changed on a regular basis- when you start getting *skips* in your cuts it is time for a new blade. as long as you change your blade as needed your mat should last a long time- the one i use most often i've been using for 10 years...i did have one kind of wear out- it was cheap- off brand, from wally world- i screwed up and left it in the car one day- it warped some but it also just started not letting me cut well- lots of skipping even with a new blade...now i stick with the more expensive- i'd rather put out a little more$$ than have to replace every few months-
Old 05-16-2011, 10:13 AM

That is what my mat (wm mat) is doing now. I just replaced the blade last week in my cutter (fiskars) and only cut for a few minutes with it. Went in yesterday and It's skipping like crazy.

Do the self healing mats really heal? LOL
Old 05-16-2011, 10:20 AM

I've had my duraheal for about 15 yrs and used it cut other things besides cotton cloth and still looks good no large lines in it. A few weeks abe soaked it in the tub and all the little tuffs came out. If I could find another one like it I would buy it use fiskar and olfa rotary cutters .
Old 05-16-2011, 10:23 AM

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...PRODID=prd2764

is this the duraheal you were talking about?
Old 05-16-2011, 11:01 AM

Switched to my fiskar today because I had a fresh blade for it. I am always amazed how easy and smooth a new blade makes cutting. :oops: I usually use my olaf which I have a pack of new blades for but can't seem to remember where I put them. :roll:
Old 05-16-2011, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by MrsM
can't seem to remember where I put them. :roll:
Thats the story of my life!
Old 05-16-2011, 11:31 AM

mats do wear out, especially if you use the lines on your mat to measure rather than the markings on your rular. If you use the markings on your mat you over cut on those lines and this means all the wear is concentrated on the lines. then the blade, however sharp, starts skipping from one channel to another. you only have to look at you LQS cutting table to see the mat of many grooves on the yard and half yard lines.

Learn to use your rulars for measuring it will be more accurate

When a mat does come to the end of its life, I switch it to gluey work and use it as a table protector for other crafts. better than using newspaper.

If you get wadding in the cuts there is a mat smoother you can buy which is relitively expensive but a group could buy one between them, and then you can just take your mat to group and clean it up when it needs it.

The heavy duty mats are better but they still do not like direct heat and need to be kept flat as possible. Once warped they are next to useless for cutting as they are actually dangerous.

Becks
Old 05-16-2011, 02:10 PM

I love my Martelli mat. Got it at a quilting expo here in town. It has really worn well.

One LA friend reports she doesn't wear out the rotary blades as fast using her Martelli.

ali
Old 05-16-2011, 03:15 PM

I use the green self-healing mats as well. If you use your ruler for measuring flip the mat over and use the unmarked side. Doubles the life of your mat.