Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
rotary cutter and ruler combo >

rotary cutter and ruler combo

rotary cutter and ruler combo

Old 01-05-2014, 09:52 PM

I had shoulder surgery and I am starting to lose some strength in my arms. Of course, age helps it along. But I have considered this and the Go because of it. I just cut all those pieces for the Mystery quilt and I had to take breaks and a few evenings to cut it all. I sure hope I can keep cutting for a long time but some people find it good and I might in the near future. I do have the Martinelli cutter and one ruler and love it but I need an edge to use and the one I have is the strips inside the ruler. I sure used it for the WOF and the binding. I want more of their stuff.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:00 AM

Back when my arthritis was flaring badly I found one at WalMart for about $19. Because of the gripper under
surface it was easier to use than my standard rulers.

While I don't use it right now, thanks to my QuiltCut2, I decided to keep it. It is on the side of my quilting closet and doesn't take up that much room,
Old 01-06-2014, 11:30 AM

I had one of the originals! Loved it even though I NEVER got exact cuts! I tried to get one for my mom and another friend. They quit making them and I got a little strip cutter for my mom! If I want to just cut...I love it! It was only 1/4 inch off. (Doesn't work if you are in a swap of exact pieces)!
I will be getting one of these! It is so handy to have the blade there ready to cut!
Old 01-06-2014, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by GagaSmith View Post
I "self gifted" this ruler for myself for Christmas and absolutely love it. I just used it for the first time and cut a lot of two and three inch strips for a charity quilt for my quilting guild. It really cuts easily, doesn't slide around at all and you don't have to press hard on the cutter.
It may not be for everybody but I find it very useful. WHen I bought mine it was 50% off plus there was a coupon for and additional 20% off entire purchase. If you don't have a receipt you may get a refund of less than you think.
Thanks for your input! Glad to hear you like it. I'm guessing they may also have taken advantage of that sale and additional discount. I know they were in JoAnn's because I also received a thread storage box, which I personally showed to my son, as a gift from my husband--my son was doing his dad's shopping because he's not currently very mobile (needs hip replacement). The storage box is not as thrilling as I'd hoped, by the way, because many of the spindles are too close together to hold adjacent large spools. I always wonder who designs these boxes, anyway, and if they ever actually try them out.

Haven't decided yet what I'll do about the rotary cutter/ruler combo, but I certainly appreciate all the feedback! Thanks, guys!