Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary Cutter Woes >

Rotary Cutter Woes

Rotary Cutter Woes

Old 07-20-2010, 02:27 PM

Hi!

I was on a Vacation in June. It was a week long, and when I came back, I found my rotary cutter rusted, and completely dull. I think somebody used it while I was gone with something damp perhaps(though I can't imagine what)
Now, I have a project with a deadline, and I can't cut fabric! I lost my spare blades, to make it worse, and while I am getting some from ebay, I think they are shipping parcel...
In the meantime, what can I do?
Old 07-20-2010, 02:34 PM

Sounds like my little grand daughter paid you a visit to show you how great an old rotary cutter cuts pizza, and sandwiches, etc. I cleaned mine with olive oil and used an emory board and its back good as new....well...almost LOL
Old 07-20-2010, 02:43 PM

Maybe steel wool or a Brillo pad? Lime-a-Way? Be careful though. Even if it's dull, it's still sharp. Cleaning the rust off should get you through until your new blades arrive. I hate working with dull blades. I change mine weekly or more. I've never had one rust though.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:56 PM

My sister got me into quilting back in 1996 when I retired from teaching. She lived 300 miles from me, but would send me goodies to try out. One was a rotary cutter sharpener. I don't know who makes it, but it is two circle pieces that the blade fits into & then you twist the two pices back & forth & the sandpaper surfaces sharpen & clean the blade. I guess it really works as I seldom changed blades in my cutter.

Originally Posted by quiltingbee12
Hi!

I was on a Vacation in June. It was a week long, and when I came back, I found my rotary cutter rusted, and completely dull. I think somebody used it while I was gone with something damp perhaps(though I can't imagine what)
Now, I have a project with a deadline, and I can't cut fabric! I lost my spare blades, to make it worse, and while I am getting some from ebay, I think they are shipping parcel...
In the meantime, what can I do?
Old 07-20-2010, 03:04 PM
Power Poster

How frustrating. I don't even want to know what they used it for.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:08 PM

Could you run to Wal-Mart or Joanns and buy just one blade?
Old 07-20-2010, 03:11 PM
Power Poster

i still cut with scissors at times. depends on the template. i trace and cut out. good luck.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:15 PM
np3
Power Poster

I would try and find someplace to buy a blade until the new ones arrive. I always worry about using a rusted or dull blade. The cost in wasted fabric can be more than you save buying discounted blades. Just me......
Old 07-20-2010, 03:19 PM
Power Poster

Wish we were neighbors. I have five, six or more rotary cutters laying around my sewing room, you could borrow anytime. The two houses next to me are for sale!
Old 07-20-2010, 03:31 PM

I'm a cheapskate so I would try cleaning it but I would test it on scraps. Then I would keep it in a locked cabinet! I have scissors that are mine only & others that anyone can use but they still manage to "borrow" mine and leave them lay wherever they used them at. I threw a fit when I couldn't find my favorite little pink ones about a month ago so hubby took me to Joann's straight away to get another pair. When we got back my daughter wanted to see what I bought and I showed her my new purple scissors & she immediately went & found my pink pair!