Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Rotary Cutters

Rotary Cutters

Is there a way to sharpen rotary cutters yourself without a machine?????

Rotary Cutters

Is there a way sharpen rotary cutters yourself???????

I've heard if you run them thru folded foil, sometimes turning them over will give alittle more life, but go to Harbour freight and get some carpet blades the round 45mm will fit you rotary.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    I saw a post about sharpening scissors with foil.. might work..

Blog Entries
    There is a little thing you buy at the store for sharpening those blades. It works "ok". Its basically a piece of sandpaper in a round container with a lid w/ handle. The blade is pushed against the sandpaper with the lid and twisted, sharpening the blade.
    JulieT

Blog Entries
    there are sharpeners on the market- i have one in a drawer- i've had it for 8 years- i've used it a couple times- i hate it- it is dangerous- and only helps for a limited amount of time- i would rather spend the $$ on new blades than deal with that 'handy-dandy' gadget.
    but i keep it around- in case a day comes when i have no $$ or no way to get to a new blade and need one==right then (and pray that day never comes)
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    To dangerous without a safe sharpening tool. A trip to the ER will buy a lot of new blades. I love the Grace blade sharpener. It works if there is no nick in the blade. I run my cutter through it the first thing before starting to cut. Sharpening a sharp blade will keep it sharp for almost forever. Don't wait until it gets dull to sharpen it.
    Got fabric?

Some of us have great luck with the very cheap Harbor Freight carpet cutting blades which fit 45 mm rotary cutters. Others haven't had such good luck. I have. You might give them a try and see.

J Hittle.com(online) also has good, cheap rotary blades...I buy mine 100 at a time (last purchase cost me about $140) but they last forever. They also have smaller amounts of them, I think ten for ??
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

I use that little sharpening thing (the circle one with the two sides; one for nicks and one to sharpen) and I like it just fine. Extends the life of my blades.

I have a sharpener and I like it.

I purchased the TrueSharp Power Rotary Blade Sharpener and it does a great job. I always have a sharp blade now. They say it is more dangerous to cut with a dull knife than a sharp one. I think the same thing holds true for rotary blades. And I know it makes a difference in my accuracy.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Blog Entries
    This isn't about sharpening but thru experience I've learned that a dull blade will damage you cutting mat more than a sharp blade., Think it is because you exert more pressure. Better to trash the blade. I do turn over but when it fails to cut all the way thru ......discard.