Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Rotary Cutters

Rotary Cutters

I had to dig out my 28mm Fiskar rotary cutter to use with the apple core template to make a mat for our 1913 Hoosier cabinet. In doing so I realized that I have 3 of the Olfa 45mm cutters (one still in original package), but none of the 60mm. Not sure what I would use the large one for anyway. How many do you own and what is your favorite brand?

I have a couple, but by far my favorite (in all sizes) are the Martelli Rotary cutters. I use the large one when cutting several layers (more than 4 or 6) because it will go faster. Also when cutting thicker fabrics, like fleece, minky, etc. Takes less effort, blade sits deeper on ruler so I feel like I am not struggling to cut those bottom layers. I don't use it daily, but a great tool in my arsenal of too many gadgets! lol

Blog Entries
    I have one Olfa 45 and one 28. the small one i use to rip seams out. (like Eleanor Burns does).if i do curves i tend to draw in pencil around the template and cut out with good old scissors.

Power Poster
    I have Olga 45 and 28 ones. I prefer my small ones because the handle is shorter and the end fits in my palm. I have more control with the handle in my palm to press down.

I have three 45 and one 28. I like my Olfa best because when I release the handle the blade retracts. I like the Fiskars but I have to remember to close the blade every time I make a cut. I have a Kai that I got from my sister when she stopped sewing, I have not used that one much but I like that the blade comes down when pressure is applied and then retracts when released. I very seldom use the 28.

I have 3 of the "ergonomic" Olfa, one 60mm and 2 18mm straight handles, all of them Olfa's, very, very rarely do I use the straight handled ones. I've had Fiskars, tried Martelli and much prefer the ergonomic Olfa's.

I only have Fiskars 45MM. I have about four of them. I don't like and don't use the one with retractable blade. I am in the habit of closing the blade.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I have multiple brands of 45 mm cutters (Olfa, Fiskers, Clover, "no name"), two Olfa yellow straight 28 mm cutters, one Fiskers straight 28 mm cutter and one Olfa 18 mm straight cutter. My go to is the Olfa 28 mm cutters. I find the 45 mm too large and cumbersome to use. I have tried a 60 mm cutter once...no thanks, too unwieldy for me. I don't care for the ergonomic cutters as they feel awkward in my hand. I haven't tried the Martelli, have heard good and bad about them. For the money, I'll stay with my straight Olfa cutters.
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

We have one stick handled 45 that we never use - I just find it too awkward to cut with. We have two Olfa ergonomic 45's and I use them quite a but. We have one Olfa ergonomic 60 that I use when cutting several layers. We also have a Martelli 45 that I use less often than the Olfa. I love it and it is easier to use, but I just pick up the Olfa out of habit.

mac
    I have a lot of Fiskar's from the tiniest one (at least one of these), 2 of the 28's and 4 or 5 of the 45's and one of the 60. Since I have been quilting for so long, I got most all of these, with the exception of the original ones, when they were on sale for 50% or 60% off from JA's.

However, I do have 2 45's of Martelli and one 60 of Martelli's. I actually like the Martelli cutters much better, especially the 60. Unfortunately, I just had a problem with the spring of the 60 Martelli and I can't get it back in and now I have to wait to go to the quilt show in Santa Clara in October for them to fix it. I looked at the YouTube video to see how to fix it and it seems that some how my spring looks like it got bent, so it won't stay in the hooky thingy. Drats.

I have lots of rotary cutters, all brands, colors, and shapes. I have a shoe box bin full of them. In fact got a new 28mm today in a subscription box. My favorite is the Quilter's Select weighted one. It cost the most but it's a dream to use. I would buy another one if this one broke. I don't care for the 60mm size. I never have much luck using those for some reason.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I changed to the Martelli 45 cutter a long time ago. It has made a great difference in my wrist. Last year I got the 60 and was so impressed I bought 2 more!
    Easier on layers of fabric but I use it only 2 to 4 layers also.

ps: I've had many brands but this is by far my favorite!
    Jennifer: Organized in my dreams.
    🌷RIP dear Tigger....you are missed!
    Buddybear's Mom ...Yorkie Fur Baby

I have 3 or 4 Olfa 45's, and 1 Olfa 28. All are the straight handled ones, since I'm ambidextrous.
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Blog Entries
    I have 2 Fiskars, 45 and 60, and the rest are Olfa. I have one 18 mm; one 60 mm; two 28s, one straight and one ergonomic; two straight 45s ; and at least two ergonomic 45s. One of the straight 45s is used for the pinking blades. I prefer the ergonomic to the straight. I don't like the slide lock of the regular ones. I may have more, but I think this is correct.

Leslie

I have every size they make,mostly Olfa but a Martelli and another one I can't remember the name of, maybe Fiskars. I use them all. Don't really have a favorite.

NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!
    My absolute favorite are the Omnigrids. They are very comfortable and safe. Get them from Walmart online... canít find them in LQS. Their blades work best but others fit.
    Havenít heard of Quilters Select cutters but love their cutting mats!

Blog Entries
    I have about five 45's (they keep hiding from me), so I purchase a new one. Three 60's, two 28's. All my cutting is done in locations other than my sewing room due to its size (I am lucky enough to have two sewing days a week with friends).
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

I have several Olfa cutters, by far my most used and favorite is the 90mm. I have a Martelli ergonomic one that I haven't tried out yet. It is a 45mm.

* I meant the 60mm, I'm pretty sure there isn't a 90!
    Last edited by Bjbaxter; 09-22-2018 at 10:04 AM. Reason: wrong info
    BJ

I like the feel of the Fiskars 45, so I haven't explored most others. I don't mind having to retract the blade.

I only have one standard fiskars (45). I didn’t even think about having more than one.... Judging by these posts maybe I should!

Wow I have 3 of the 60 Olfa, 5 of the 45 Olfa, 3 of the 28 Olfa. Then I have a brand new 45 splash haven't opened it yet, 1 45 Fons and Porter, 1 Dritz 45. I think that is it oh wait I also have some of the specialty ones like the pinking blade by Olfa.
    Maria
    Always be true to yourself!

I think I have two Olfa 60 mm's (one ergonomic and one not), four (?) 45mm's of differing brands (Olfa, Kai, Martelli, and Clover) and the tiny 28mm Olfa. I use the 45mm's the most, favoring the two tone green Clover one my quilting friend bought me because it has a built in light to light up your cut! Love, love, love that!

I have 3 Olfa rulers-all different sizes. My favorite is the 45 mm. I also have a 45mm that is still in the package but it was demonstrated by my friend because of the easy way to remove the blade. I only use the 60mm when I am cutting thru several thicknesses of fabrics.

Everyone in my quilt group has the Quilter's Select rotary cutter. Once they used mine we went shopping. I do like the pretty color ones, they add some fun.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.