Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rotary Cutters

I need some advice on rotary cutters because the Fiskers i've been using just isnt cutting it (no pun intended..lol) I've gone through 3 in the last 6 mths. The nut and screw seem to not stay tight after using for a mth or so. Then the blade wobbles...very frustrating and i'm recovering from hand surgery so something maybe ergonmically correct might be better but not to much money?? Any suggestions would be Great!! Thank you in advance :D

Make sure that you have the parts put together correctly. I know once I had two parts switched and had all kinds of issues. I use a 45mm OLFA and haven't had any problems with it.

Blog Entries
    I use Olfa rotary cutters. When JoAnn Fabrics has them half price it really helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    I use Olfa rotary cutters. When JoAnn Fabrics has them half price it really helps.
    Thanks i think i may go there friday morning!

Always Quilting put this on a few weeks ago. Fiskars goes on the same way. I had all mine on wrong. Once I fixed them, they "olfa and fiskars" work very nicely.

http://www.olfa.com/App_Content/Edit.../bin112065.pdf

Blog Entries
    I saw this cutter recently... It is supposed to be more "ergomonic". What do you all think? Anyone have experience with one of theses? http://www.quiltbug.com/notions/martelli.htm (updated post, I found it again)

[quote=azwendyg]I this cutter recently... It is supposed to be more "ergomonic". What do you all think? Anyone have experience with one of theses? http://www.quiltbug.com/notions/martelli.htm[/quo

Power Poster
    Martelli

Blog Entries
    I use Fisker and have had no problem. But, do be sure that everything is on correctly. It does loosen now and then if I am in "full production mode", but I just check it to be sure all is well.

I haven't tried this cutter, but go to their shop (Quiltbug). The people that run it are wonderful and they use and test the products they sell.

I will have to run out there after Thanksgiving and ask them to give me a try at it though.

They have even let me try products and told me to buy it at Joann's because it would be cheaper with their (Joann's) coupon than it would be at their shop. Now that is customer service!

Quoted from: I saw this cutter recently... It is supposed to be more "ergomonic". What do you all think? Anyone have experience with one of theses? http://www.quiltbug.com/notions/martelli.htm (updated post, I found it again)

You know they are guarantee for life send them back to the company Fiskar.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I will def. research some of those names and look into the guarentee for fiskers! Happy Thanksgiving to all :D

I actually lost the nut that was on mine, went to ace hardware and got a new one and its works better now

[quote=kajaza]
    Quote Originally Posted by azwendyg
    I this cutter recently... It is supposed to be more "ergomonic". What do you all think? Anyone have experience with one of theses? http://www.quiltbug.com/notions/martelli.htm[/quo
    Yes, I have this cutter. It works great once you get used to it. I use it for my Alto's Quilt cut and it works awesome.

[quote=featherweight]
    Quote Originally Posted by kajaza
    I this cutter recently... It is supposed to be more "ergomonic". What do you all think? Anyone have experience with one of theses? http://www.quiltbug.com/notions/martelli.htm[/quo
    Yes, I have this cutter. It works great once you get used to it. I use it for my Alto's Quilt cut and it works awesome.
    have you tried the harbor frate blades in them? I was wondering if they would work as well

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by no1jan
    Quoted from: I saw this cutter recently... It is supposed to be more "ergomonic". What do you all think? Anyone have experience with one of theses? http://www.quiltbug.com/notions/martelli.htm (updated post, I found it again)
    There have been both positive and negative comments on this, so you really would have to try it to know.

I like my Olfas because I can use them left or right handed and don't have to change anything.

Blog Entries
    check out the Clotilde's web site, they offer a number of different cutters by different companies and have 2 or 3 different ergo ones, their prices are not bad and they do have sales and specials.

[quote=kajaza]
    These are a bit pricey and are wonderful but tend to break their little spring real fast. Seems to be an issue with them. Hopefully they are resolving it or have.

I have used the Martelli ergomonic cutter for over 3 yrs..it is great..any 45 blade will fit..but the Martelle blade last so much longer..I am a lefty..several of my quilting friends have bought the cutter after using mine..I got mine from Hittle Company..Kathleen

Blog Entries
    [quote=sahm4605]
    Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    Quote Originally Posted by kajaza
    have you tried the harbor frate blades in them? I was wondering if they would work as well
    I use Olfa rotary cutter and Harbor Freight blades (ifyou can find them anymore). Harbor Freight rotary blades work marvelously. Edie

Sometimes the blades cuts into the bolt on the Fiskars cutter and then it stops the blade from turning. I was a huge Fiskars fan for many years, but after three Fiskars cutters died for various reasons, i switched to Olfa. I have 6 different cutters now and can't complain about any of them.

I have 4 Olfas - 2/45, 1/60 and the tiny one (which is too small for anything). I use the 45's the most and really love them. I have tried the Martelli cutter. It is wonderful to hold and use but as my others work just fine I will hold off purchasing #5!!

Make sure that the parts on put back on correctly, I had that issue too and had to re do everything and then no problems

Super Member Central Ohio Quilter's Avatar
    I splurged on one of these Ginghers a couple years ago at JoAnn's when they were 50% off + an extra 20% off.

I love it, love it, love it!!!!! It is weighted and just feels good in my hand.

http://www.joann.com:80/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?pageName=search&flag=true&PRODID=zprd_10024438a

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast