Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary cutting or scissors? >

Rotary cutting or scissors?

Rotary cutting or scissors?

Old 04-15-2016, 01:43 AM

Default Rotary cutting or scissors?

Which do you think gives a more accurate cut, rotary cutting or scissors?

I'm asking because a few months back I did some serious purging of everything I own, fabrics and sewing supplies included, and gave away a few of my larger mats. At the time, I was so tired/bored/frustrated with quilting and during the purge vowed never do it again. Of course now there is someone that I'd like to make a quilt for but don't have the larger mat and am wondering if I should buy another or try scissor cutting. Time wise it would take longer, but what about accuracy? Any thoughts either way?

oh, and just to make things easier, JoAnn's mats and cutters are 50% off thru the 20th. Imagine that.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:11 AM
Power Poster

For straight, long cuts ( cutting yardage, long cuts, straight cuts) for me rotary cutting is faster and more accurate.But, certainly not mandatory. Before the rotary cutter became a ( staple) in our tool kit thousands and thousands of quilts were created using only scissors.... And, can certainly be as accurate ( or more accurate). Using a rotary cutter doesn't guarantee precision, many bad cuts are made with them. Scissors work just fine. You don't have to buy special tools to make a quilt. Scissors, pins, needles and thread and, fabric of course is really all you need.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:14 AM

Must have been a senior moment.Rotary is more accurate if you use cutter correctly.
Old 04-15-2016, 03:09 AM

I can't begin to imagine cutting pieces with scissors. Of the two, I'd overwhelming advocate for rotary blades and a very good, accurate ruler.

But I never realized until last year, how much more accurate die cutting is. I have an AccuQuilt Studio and it's completely changed my cutting regime.
Old 04-15-2016, 03:41 AM
Power Poster

​You can use scissors but each piece will not be as straight as rotary cutting. If it is a block pattern with a ton of pieces, each block will be a little off when you go to sew them together.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:53 AM
Power Poster

You can buy precuts. There are lots of patterns using those and your cutting will be minimal. Scissors and rotary cutters are my will use if I have to tools. I use a die cut machine for 95% of my fabric cutting.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:02 AM

I think rotary cutters and rulers are much more accurate. But use scissors if that is what you have---I would stick to a simple pattern with larger pieces however.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:20 AM

Id buy precuts and join them as they are far more accurate than scissors would be. Perhaps a purchase of a board and rotary cutter if you enjoy the process again. If you lived closer you could borrow mine.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:34 AM
Power Poster

I quilted before the rotary cutter was born and I get a much more accurate cut with a rotary but you can try it and see how it works for you. Could you borrow from a friend??
Old 04-15-2016, 07:35 AM

Rotary, for sure!! The little bitty blade will cut curves perfectly. I've got all sizes.