Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rotating Cutting Mats

Blog Entries

Rotating Cutting Mats

I want to gift a rotating self-healing cutting mat to my mother-in-law for Christmas. She said something about how handy one would be six months ago and I instantly put it on my gift list for Christmas. My question is, which ones are the best? I want one that will last her years.

I thought Craftsy sold one but I can't find it. Any links would be appreciated too! Thanks so much!
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

I have a 17" Olfa rotating, self-healing cutting mat & I really like it. I don't use it a whole lot but when I need it, I love it! I've never had a problem of it "jumping" off the bottom section (the rotating part) and it rotates very smoothly. I just have to remember to not rotate it to fast that I sling my pieces off the mat.

Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    I also have an Olfa, and I love it when I remember to use it, mostly for trimming up units.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it difficult to plan the day.

Kris

Blog Entries
    Thank you all so much for the advice! I'll certainly look for a Olfa rotating mat.
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

I have an Olfa 17" rotating mat. I wore it out mainly cutting 10" layer cakes to make the double slice quilts from MSQC. I need to buy another. I have also trimmed a lot of scraps on it. I love it.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I have the Martelli one and like it but I haven't used it a whole lot. I got the 3 piece set at a show. It wasn't quite as expensive at the show. You could probably get away without the ironing mat part.

https://shop.martellinotions.com/rou...tting-mat.html

https://shop.martellinotions.com/rou...tting-mat.html[/QUOTE]

The Martelli mat is on sale, 50% off, through the 18th.
    Sue

NZ, I bought the Matilda mat on Craftsy and love it. I'm wondering if maybe it's sold out? I don't know. I got it for half price several months ago.
    Whichever one you buy will be a wonderful gift for your MIL!!!

PS. I have the square Olfa rotating mat but I don't like it very much. I like the round one a lot better.

I have the Olfa one and it is great. Only thing is to be sure to find a place where it can sit flat when you aren't using it. My Mom had one and it warped.

Watson

The Martelli Roundabout is excellent. It's big and sturdy. I told my DD to remember what you give me as gifts now will end up being yours one day so select wisely. I get much better gifts now. LOL
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I love my Martelli Round-A-Bout. It has ball bearings so turns very smoothly. I have the 3 piece set--base, cutting mat and ironing surface. I take it to Quilt Guild with me sometimes--it's not too large to take.
    Regina in Richmond, KY

I got my Olfa 17 inch at Joann's w/a 50 off coupon...always use mine

I also love my Martelli Roundabout -- Love the smooth ball bearing movement. I also have the pressing mat and use it to take to quilt meetings sometimes. Love the Martelli company all around. And as someone said, they are having 50% off sale.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lyric girl View Post
    I have the 12" Olfa. Works like a charm.
    Same here...it’s a great size to take to classes and sit & sew.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Blog Entries
    My Olfa 17” came from Joann’s...coupon certainly! I love that mat and have used it for several years and it is still like new!
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    The Martelli Roundabout is excellent. It's big and sturdy. I told my DD to remember what you give me as gifts now will end up being yours one day so select wisely. I get much better gifts now. LOL
    Cracks me up!

I saw a Martelli one at one of my quilt retreats and loved it. It has a pressing mat on the opposite side too. Decided to wait till Martelli had a sale as they are pricey but right now they're having a sale so that's the time to grab it. I was lucky as when I got home Martelli started a new sale and I picked mine up. I use the cutting mat part to carry my pieces to the sewing machine and then to the ironing board too as well as trimming. Its a self-healing mat and I can't say anything bad about this rotating cutting mat/pressing mat. Nice size too.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Blog Entries
    The Martelli mat is on sale, 50% off, through the 18th.[/QUOTE]

This is a great deal! I think she will love the ironing surface too.

Blog Entries
    There are so many things that come into play. Has she used one before? What does she anticipate cutting on it? How much space does she have? Will she be cutting yardage or precuts?

I have lots of cutting mats that I use for different purposes. One is 5 feet by 3 feet or so, then I have 24x26. 18x24, two rotating ones and a couple oddball ones. Brand does not make any difference to me, I am more concerned about function.

I sew clothes and use the largest one for that. I use all the smaller ones for quilting.

Does she have rulers? What about a rotary cutter?
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

I also have the 12 inch Olfa and I love it.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

Love my Olfa

Blog Entries
    What will she be using it for? If cutting larger strips and pieces, a regular mat would be good. But, If doing a lot of smaller cutting or trimming, a rotating mat is wonderful! And, it is usually that 'treat' buy that we don't get for ourselves!

I have an Olfa 12" and I love it. Great gift for you MIL.

Quote Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
    NZ, I bought the Matilda mat on Craftsy and love it. I'm wondering if maybe it's sold out? I don't know. I got it for half price several months ago.
    Whichever one you buy will be a wonderful gift for your MIL!!!

PS. I have the square Olfa rotating mat but I don't like it very much. I like the round one a lot better.
    I got the Matilda mat for my birthday in October. I've only used it a couple times but it turns very smoothly and sits very steady. I got mine from Fat Quarter Shop. I just looked and they still show it on their website
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    I love my 12" Olfa. It doesn't wobble and is steady yet turns easily

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast