Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotating Cutting Matt idea >

Rotating Cutting Matt idea

Rotating Cutting Matt idea

Old 05-13-2013, 01:49 PM

Y'all are so thrifty (and I mean that in a good way) - I wish I was creative enough to think of ways to "reuse". Instead I used a 50% off coupon and bought the Olfa rotating mat at Joanns...
Old 05-13-2013, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by ThreadHead View Post
I used my twister. I've had a twister that you stand on and twist your body from one side to the other for trimming your waistline. It's about 15 inches across. It was in the closet for years until I started using it by putting a smaller mat on it and using it for a rotating mat. It works great. Syl
I have a twister sitting in my laundry room, have been tempted a few times to get rid of it, did not. Now you give me reason to keep it, who would have thought? Thanks for sharing your idea!
Old 05-13-2013, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by ThreadHead View Post
I used my twister. I've had a twister that you stand on and twist your body from one side to the other for trimming your waistline. It's about 15 inches across. It was in the closet for years until I started using it by putting a smaller mat on it and using it for a rotating mat. It works great. Syl
Wow, does it still trim your waistline? hee hee, sounds like a lot more fun to use it this way.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:40 PM

A few years ago I purchased from NEC quilt show , Birmingham England, UK a large rotary cutting mat. It is 20 by 16 and is on a large thick white plastic rectangle with edges and a rotator at the base of the white. It is great as I can use for plenty of cutting. I did buy the smaller rotating mat which in comparison looks and feels cheap. Did anyone else buy one of these larger ones. They were selling hot cakes and they had no card machine so were taking individuals info if they had no cash. Very trusting but it was packed and pushing etc to acquire one. Did you?
Old 05-15-2013, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by ontheriver View Post
My sweetie bought the round metal thingy (sorry, not know what it is called) that goes between the layers, then cut two squares of plywood 21x21 inches and put it together in like a lazy susan. He sanded it all nice and smooth. I put a square cutting mat on it and it works great. He did get a large size ring rated to hold like 200 lbs. It was only a few dollars and the wood was scraps he had. Total cost was under 10.00. Now it is heavy but I don't carry it around. Just put it on the table when I want to use it.
Where did he get the metal 'thingy' - which I'm thinking holds ball bearings to work like a lazy susan. It sounds like something the rest of use could make, too, if it is readily available. I'm hoping you'll say he bought it at Harbor Freight!
Old 06-28-2013, 09:43 AM

Default Finished I-Spy quilt

Hi Murphy1 - Here is my finished I-Spy quilt for my granddaughter...all quilted and it turned out great. This was the best quilting job I've done. No wrinkles and very smooth on the back side. Hope I can do that again with the T-shirt quilt I'm working on now. - Stitch124

Originally Posted by Murphy1 View Post
Have fun making the quilt and the turn table will really make the cutting fast. I would cut mine then carry the mat to my sewing machine to join the turned pieces. I look forward to seeing you quilt. I am going to cut some more novelties to make another for my daughter.
Attached Thumbnails maci_finished_i_spy.jpg