Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Round Robin help - I'm stumped for an idea! >

Round Robin help - I'm stumped for an idea!

Round Robin help - I'm stumped for an idea!

Old 02-07-2013, 08:52 PM

I don't have any suggestions but, oh my... that certainly throws a wrench into things.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:38 PM

Wow, I really don't have anything better to add. But, all I can say is if I fall into a problem like this, I am coming to you all for advice. You have given some fantastic suggestions. Good luck on your round. I am sure you will make it all work and come together in the end. (I can't help but wonder if he truly meant to add that border.) It sure was an unusual choice. Can,t wait to see what you add.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:30 AM

How about matching the white with a triangle shape which should make it look more like a diamond with another fabric on the other side to square up, this could be the red border pattern from paint idea
Old 02-08-2013, 03:38 AM

Boy, you really have to have guts to do a round robin. I can't help but think the original quilter would want to remove those striped triangles.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:25 AM
Banned

How about a solid border with prairie points falling into the stripe to break it up a bit.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:53 AM

What would prairie points look like around the edge. They would pick up the flying geese shape and help soften all that white.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:57 AM

sometimes just a thin black border then a border of coordinating fabric to make it "shut up"....lol!
Old 02-08-2013, 06:04 AM

a stumper for sure! How about some more flying geese? You might think about repeating that twist and turn border and have the 1st triangle be flying geese? graduated ones like on the bottom? I will keep my thinking cap on for you. I just HATE it when I cannot figure quilts out. I was thinking a bit of applique too. DOnt' know why you could not do machine applique. I can handle smaller pieces a bit better when I can sew them down by machine. maybe a tree up the side? Where you could only see half the tree branches and part of the trunk....oh my mind is wandering again!
Old 02-08-2013, 07:53 AM

Part of the reason the striped triangles look so wonky is that the stripes on 2 of the triangles run parallel with the diagonal seam and on the other 2 they run parallel to the long outside edge.

My first thought was to make rather large prairie points pointing toward the center to cover that last round as much as possible!
Old 02-08-2013, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
The quilt below is the one I've received for the last round in our guild's current Round Robin Challenge. This round is "quilter's choice" and it still doesn't help me know what to do to help this.

The second round quilter applied a striped fabric and a white fabric in very large elongated triangles for a border. To me is doesn't seem to fit at all and it makes the shape off balance; now the quilt looks collywopped. I don't have a clue how to improve things. The owner of this quilt is a guy who does amazing, intricately pieced, artsy work usually; this quilt is nothing like him! I will be the last to work on it before he takes it home.

The green that you see is "in progress" star flowers and leaves that the 3rd round quilter is going to finish with her trademarked thread painting. I will have the quilt when she is done. My time will be limited as she has had some heath issues and is running into "my" month with her work.

Help!! Any suggestions??

Jan in VA
Wonky stars in red and white!