Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Round Robin Quilt

Blog Entries

Round Robin Quilt

You guys are always so good with finding things. I am looking for a round robing quilt for my guild for next year. We will all be sewing our own quilts. Some of the members don't want to pass theirs around. I know there are patterns and tutorials out there. I am not finding anything. I need something that isn't too difficult as we have so many different skill levels. Something with a different skill each round would be perfect but not necessary. Any ideas?

Maybe this might give you some ideas - - -

https://www.patchworkposse.com/round...uilt-patterns/
    Jane

Doesn't seem like a Round Robin if it isn't passed around. To me it's the fun of it not the end result.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

The Round Robin that we did here on the Board a couple of years ago didn't use a pattern. Each round the quilter decided what to add to the quilt top. The creativity of each border that the participants sewed was part of the fun. You might like to check my album of the centers of the quilts and how they grew. https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19669.html If there is no pattern, then each person can sew at their own skill level.

Blog Entries
    Yes it would be fun to pass the quilts around. A lot of people in the guild don't want to pass them. There are some people in the guild who they don't want to sew on their quilts.

In our guild with over 70 members, only 6-7 people sign up to join a round robin group. We each made a central block of our choice and included whatever background and other fabric we wanted used. We also included a note about size, color, and style preferences. People could add fabric if they wanted, but we kept the rounds at no more than 6" high. The results of this activity were fabulous. You could limit the groups to 4 or 5 if more people wanted to join in. You could also do a "row robin" so that each row was left loose, to be sewn together by the owner. When I've participated in these, a length and height of each row was decided ahead of time.

Quote Originally Posted by meanmom View Post
    Yes it would be fun to pass the quilts around. A lot of people in the guild don't want to pass them. There are some people in the guild who they don't want to sew on their quilts.
    That's sad. I made a nice simple center from sale fabric and passed it on. I wasn't expecting a heirloom quilt to be handed back. Even if one round wasn't the best choice so what. In our guild we have a few that have the demand 'IF' before they participate in anything. They get left out a lot.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by givio View Post
    The Round Robin that we did here on the Board a couple of years ago didn't use a pattern. Each round the quilter decided what to add to the quilt top. The creativity of each border that the participants sewed was part of the fun. You might like to check my album of the centers of the quilts and how they grew. https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19669.html If there is no pattern, then each person can sew at their own skill level.
    And we had a wonderful time, too! This forum has so many patient, creative and awesome members. Hmm, we really should do another round robin in the spring, don't you think Givio?
    May your blessings be many, your troubles few and your fabric stash endless!

Since they don't want to pass the quilts, have you thought of each round having a technique instead of a set pattern?
    "Never cruel, nor cowardly, never give up, never give in."

Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

Sonic screwdrivers, fez, bow ties, and Stetsons are cool.

Our guild did a group "row by row" project this past year, and the results were fantastic. The leaders provided several fat quarters of the same material for each "topic quilt". We had patriotic, hearts, spring, black and white, etc. People signed up for the quilt of their choice and took a fat quarter to use (or not use) within their row. Rows could be any height, but all had to be the same width. We had a high percentage of the guild participating. There was a facilitator to keep track of things, but it was amazing how each group kind of "gelled" and the quilts materialized. I think the success of this project is a credit to the goodwill within our guild.

I think you could do two groups, the passers around, and the only me's. You could apply the "rules" to both groups as to techniques, sizes, etc. I think it would be both educational and fun! I like the idea of using a different technique for each round, with everyone participating using the same technique on the same rounds, whether they are passing around or not.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Check out Pat Sloan on internet, she has put on various group quilting ideas. I believe she would help you with this.
    Quilting People are the Best, Have a great sewing day!
    DonnaJ

our guild did an add a border. we started with a 12" center of our choice. each person worked on their own quilt but followed the border directions of a different member each month. it is amazing how 8 quilts can be the "same" but oh so different.

Blog Entries
    glasqlts that is the type of quilt I am looking for. An add a border quilt type of pattern. It would be awesome if I could find one where the borders taught a different technique. We have done several mystery quilts that they enjoyed but are looking for something different.

This might be a fun project to try. It's a table runner QAYG. (Not a big quilt). A good size project to do on one's own, or together as a group.
    This version is pretty simple, but the QAYG technique is there, & every participant can add their own row... using a different technique for each row... and make the runner unique.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONCYWu6XGAM

here is part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxvRE35jgZw

There are many videos: at least 16 rows in the video list on the right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-evvTqwzVI
    Last edited by mindless; 12-04-2018 at 11:34 AM. Reason: added another link