Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rounded corners... >

Rounded corners...

Rounded corners...

Old 08-21-2016, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
Straight grain binding won't easily follow the curve and won't lay flat. Bias binding is much easier to use on curves. I use bias binding on all of my quilts.

Cari
I, too, use bias for all my quilt bindings whether curved or straight. It is so much easier to work with than straight of grain or WOF.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:48 PM

I round all of my baby & lap quilts and use binding that I cut across from salvage to salvage. It stretches just fine around the curves as it's a gentle curve. When I do scallops I always use the bias binding. Cut one of your strips the binding width you intend to use, press and pin to the corner, baste and turn over to see if it will work for you. Doing that you won't lose what pieces you have and will be able to tell if it's going to work for you.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I have done rounded corners by using straight grain binding up to about 1 foot away from the corner, sew in a piece of bias about 2 feet long, stitch around the corner and reattach my straight of grain and continue. In a big quilt that made 8 joins but with dark binding it was not noticable. Worked well.
I did this also where I had points of stars in the border. Mother of invention for me... lol
Old 08-22-2016, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I have done rounded corners by using straight grain binding up to about 1 foot away from the corner, sew in a piece of bias about 2 feet long, stitch around the corner and reattach my straight of grain and continue. In a big quilt that made 8 joins but with dark binding it was not noticable. Worked well.
That is how I do it. I would never put a straight binding on a curve.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
The reason I'm trying to stay away from the bias binding is because I was hoping to make the binding out of scraps from the quilt fabrics.

Watson
What about shaping the scraps and joining them up. I made an oval quilt for my granddaughter and did the border in this way by making paper templates to form the curves.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:18 AM

Bias binding is my choice. If necessary, introduce a color not used in the quilt for your bias binding.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:02 AM

If you are going to bind the quilt (rather than birth it), you will want a bias binding. If you haven't worked much with curves, it can help to 'prebend' the binding on your steam iron by laying it on a drawn line the same size as your sewn edge. To make the rounded edge without a round ruler or template, use something that size from your kitchen - a plate, a lid, a container. A tip when sewing around a curved edge is to hold a pin at the center of the circle and let the fabric spin around under the presser foot. This will make a cleaner curve than working from the edge and constantly turning it.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
A dinner plate, or desert plate will do...for just that gentle curve and only the four corners, I think you will get away with straight binding.....what say all?
questions are good - means you're expanding your base and not staying stagnant.
Straight grain binding won't work for a curved corner, bias binding is a must.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
If I wanted my quilt to have rounded corners, rather than square corners, do I absolutely need bias binding?

How do you round them off? Just use a compass?

Watson (Just full of questions, lately!)
Dinner plate, saucer, compass Your choice, but bias binding will lay and turn much nicer with easier sewing too. If you hold the Binding up just a bit as you go around any curve it will sew very nicely. Also holding curved pieces up for sewing helps keep it neat too.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:45 AM

Does the rounded corner have to be big? I have just rounded enough to not have to make a corner and not used bias. Seems fine.