Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
rounded needle points >

rounded needle points

rounded needle points

Old 10-29-2011, 02:51 AM

Yes,
Connie, they are called ball point and usually are named that on the package. All needles are not the same. They work great with knit fabric.

Carol J.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:25 AM

I am only familiar with the Groz Beckert LA needles but they do not refer to their needles as ball point. They describe them as rounded. That info. is on the package but is coded along with everything else you need to know. It is all there but you have to know how to read the codes.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by topstitch
I am only familiar with the Groz Beckert LA needles but they do not refer to their needles as ball point. They describe them as rounded. That info. is on the package but is coded along with everything else you need to know. It is all there but you have to know how to read the codes.
I don't have an LA and wonder why they use a needle that is not sharp. Rounded needles certainly would not pierce the quilt as easily as a sharp needle. Ball point needles have their duty to perform on knits but would not work well on cottons with a batting between them. Do you know anymore about the rounded needles that you can tell us?
I will look at the display of needles more closely now and see if they are available and ask around if anyone else has heard of them. Learn something new every day.

Carol J.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:40 PM

Default LAQM needles

That is exactly my question, Carol. Why are so many rounded tip needles available and so few sharp tips? Why aren't the sharps available with titahium coating? They were available until a few years ago and then they just stopped making them. I don't buy the idea that they are being manufactured and then all bought up. When I bought my LAQM 100 needled came with it and they are rounded tips. When I finally had to replenish my supply I ordered from 2 different companys what these companys stated was recommended for my machine and both sent me rounded tip needles. . I just can't figure out the problem. I do know that my skipped stitched have absolutely stopped since I have been using sharps