Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Rubber Cement

Power Poster

Rubber Cement

I decided to try using rubber cement on the back of my ruler today. It goes on milky but dries clear. I have tried the stick on dots but with limited success. The rubber cement does not totally prevent slipping but it does make the ruler less slippery on the fabric. It was only about $4.75 so it was worth a shot.Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 1087
Size:  221.3 KB

Blog Entries
    What a good idea
    Create something beautiful from scraps.

I use this all the time. It can eventually get yucky looking and then all you do is peal it off and reapply it. I love it especially on my longarm rulers.
    Betty

A quilt will warm your body and comfort your soul.

http://notesfrommoosehaven.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eparys View Post
    I use this all the time. It can eventually get yucky looking and then all you do is peal it off and reapply it. I love it especially on my longarm rulers.
    this was my first thought about the rubber cement... glad to hear it is easily replaced
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I put clear nail polish, then sprinkle table salt into the wet polish. It gives it a sandpaper-y finish that grips fabric well and keeps my rulers from sliding.

Maybe sprinkling some table salt into the wet rubber cement would reduce the slippery-ness further, and be less permanent than nail polish!

Blog Entries
    I take the thin strips of Steady Betty and cut into quarter-inch squares. They have peel-and-stick adhesive already on them.

I cut tiny pieces of shelf liner and use E6000 glue to glue them to the back in strategic spots on my ruler. Works great.

Watson

And it smells good!
    I love the smell of Best Press in the morning!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lyric girl View Post
    Haven't tried this yet, but Jamie Wallen swears by this stuff.
    here's a video about it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNLZzQGlxmM
    Nancy in western NY
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I've put double sided scotch tape on the back side of sandpaper and punched out dots with my paper punch. Then stuck them to the ruler. Has really helped making the ruler more non-skid
    Pat

I've tried using my glue gun putting just a wee bitty line all over the back side of the rubber, laying it flat down so the glue will flatten out too. Once dry its good to go. The glue will peel right off easily too if you added too much as I did the first time I tried this.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

There are lots of different ways to keep rulers from slipping.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    Looks like Elmer's School Glue in a different bottle. Maybe we should start
    with Elmer's which is a lot cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
    I've tried using my glue gun putting just a wee bitty line all over the back side of the rubber, laying it flat down so the glue will flatten out too. Once dry its good to go. The glue will peel right off easily too if you added too much as I did the first time I tried this.
    Thanks for the tip. I bought a glue gun just for that but still haven't tried it.

On Jordan fabrics, she suggest laying a 5lb excercise weight on the ruer to hold it still. It works wonderful.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Onetomatoplant View Post
    And it smells good!
    D'you mean the rubber cement smelling good? I love that smell, but I like some weird things!

I like the idea of trying something different, I've had those little dots migrate too often!
    Singer 301 (Zsuzsi), Janome DC1050, Brother XR3140 -when did THAT happen?!

Power Poster
    I' m very pleased with the rubber cement on the back of this ruler. I have 1/2 of my sashing quilted and I haven't had any slippage. It is working really well to do the peaks and valleys FMQ along the ruler. Here is one of them and you can see how smooth it looks, very pleased!Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 199
Size:  258.8 KB

I spray with basting spray and let it dry it lasts along time can be removed with running alcohol or fingernail polish when it gets bad

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I decided to try using rubber cement on the back of my ruler today. It goes on milky but dries clear. I have tried the stick on dots but with limited success. The rubber cement does not totally prevent slipping but it does make the ruler less slippery on the fabric. It was only about $4.75 so it was worth a shot.Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 1087
Size:  221.3 KB
    I got some today. I was putting it on the back of a ruler, but it went on clear and was not bumpy like yours. Did you put on more than one coat? Did you put it on really thick? How long did you let it dry? I put my thin layer on this morning and it is still wet feeling.
    Nancy in western NY

Power Poster
    I globbed mine down the length of this rulers edge kind of thick. I Googled the length of time it takes for the Elmer’s rubber cement glue to cure and it said about 20 minutes but I waited an hour. It still feels tacky to your fingertip even when dry. The tackiness decreases as it picks up fuzz off the quilt surface and I think eventually it will need to be replaced but so far mine is still working. Try your ruler on a scrap piece of fabric and check for any transfer of the rubber cement. If no transfer, it’s dry enough.

This is so ironic I went out looking for contact cement and the only thing I could find was rubber cement! So are they the same thing? FYI you should not be inhaling either of these products they are toxic.
    As for the slippage with the rulers I put those green felt dots on the back of almost all of my rulers probably 17 years ago and have no problem with slipping. The other product I used on the newest ones is Invisigrip (sp) works like a charm as well.
    Maria
    Always be true to yourself!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I globbed mine down the length of this rulers edge kind of thick. I Googled the length of time it takes for the Elmer’s rubber cement glue to cure and it said about 20 minutes but I waited an hour. It still feels tacky to your fingertip even when dry. The tackiness decreases as it picks up fuzz off the quilt surface and I think eventually it will need to be replaced but so far mine is still working. Try your ruler on a scrap piece of fabric and check for any transfer of the rubber cement. If no transfer, it’s dry enough.
    Thanks so much!
    Nancy in western NY