Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ruler Folded stash >

Ruler Folded stash

Ruler Folded stash

Old 03-11-2011, 07:13 PM

Well, hang doggie....they think of new things every day! NEVER thought to use the ruler!!!!!!!!!! Thanks :)
Old 03-11-2011, 07:23 PM

Fold? Ha! That sounds a bit like work! Actually, I had this idea. I teach, which means I test. The standardized tests come packed with cardboard, which must be acid free. Why not use the cardboard (maybe cut in half) to fold the fabric around. So, I thought, I'll count to figure out how many pieces I'll need....it will help me to decide whether to cut the cardboard. In the end--I'd have to test for another 10 years to collect enough cardboard! So, hand doggie it all....I'll just quilt it instead!

TY to Amanada'sgramma: I like that phrase, sounds like something from Hanna Montana, but it sure is cute! ;-)
Old 03-11-2011, 08:29 PM

I've seen this method mentioned several times on this board. I finally got around to trying it a couple of weeks ago.
I love, love, love how the fabric turns out. Folded fabric is a beautiful thing to see. I've been doing it to every piece of fabric I find. I do offer a warning. Folding fabric is very addictive. If you start it, be prepared to get hooked on doing it.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:38 PM

Go to this post on here - on the Tutorial page - it SHOWS how to do the folding, etc. - very helpful:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-43871-1.htm
Old 03-11-2011, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by FQ Stash Queen
Do you mark how much of it you have or put it in stacks of certain sizes?
I use a sticker "dot" with the yardage, although it really is easy to estimate the amount of fabric by either the size of the fold or by counting the number of times the fabric is wrapped around the ruler and multiplying by the width of the ruler. Or just guess :-)
Old 03-12-2011, 05:22 AM

I find the folded ruler method helps not only with storing the fabric (making my stash look neater) but with putting together fabrics. Since the folded pieces are the same size,
it makes it easier to see how fabrics go together when pulling options- like a mini bolt. As far as keeping track of yardage, I keep yardage samples by color of 1/2 or more in clear baseball card sleeves. I cut the sample from a corner, staple it to an index card cut to size, and write on the back the yardage, name of print, and manufacturer. I got this idea from a blog- can't remember which one. Then when I got "fabric shopping" I take the sheets I need and make additional selections.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:38 AM

I just used this method.
I posted it "organized my fabric"
This is how it turned out in my new to me cabinet.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-139834.jpe  
Old 03-12-2011, 06:45 AM

How deep is that cabinet? The folded pieces look reasonably long. I'm flat-hunting at the moment, and when I do have a new flat with a sewing room, I'm planning to get a set of wall shelves which are 20cm (8") deep for my fabrics. I rarely get large quantities of fabric, it's usually quarter-metre cuts.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Lobster
How deep is that cabinet? The folded pieces look reasonably long. I'm flat-hunting at the moment, and when I do have a new flat with a sewing room, I'm planning to get a set of wall shelves which are 20cm (8") deep for my fabrics. I rarely get large quantities of fabric, it's usually quarter-metre cuts.
I had a piece of glass cut for the bottom so the fabric wouldn't sit on wood. It is 11 1/2 inches. The fabric fits perfectly.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by mcdaniel023
I just used this method.
I posted it "organized my fabric"
This is how it turned out in my new to me cabinet.
Its a beautiful thing!