Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
ruler lines >

ruler lines

ruler lines

Old 02-03-2014, 05:55 AM

Default ruler lines

My strips are never accurate. Where do you place the line on your fabric, next to the straight edge or just on the fabrics edge? I would think it would make a difference if you switched back and forth while cutting. Thank you.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:08 AM
Power Poster

I place the line of my ruler ON the fabric edge. Just be consistent where you place your ruler for all your cutting.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:10 AM

For me it works to have the left edge of the line on the edge of the fabric. That gives me just a few threads more than placing the center of the line on the edge of the fabric.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:13 AM

Just a quick question - by accurate do you mean one strip is not the same width as another - or it is not the same width from one side of the strip to the other?

I always cut on the generous side. If I need 2.5 inch strip - I cut so the the line running at 2.5 is totally on the fabric - not so far however to actually show the fabric - does that make any sense? I would rather trim off a "hair" than have to worry about a seam allowance that was too narrow.

In all reality, as long as you are consistent - you will be fine.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:20 AM

Sally Collins, author of a book on precision machine piecing, recommends you have the entire narrow black line (not the fat yellow line around it) on the fabric, without showing any fabric beyond the line. The thickness of that line makes up for the thickness of the thread and what is lost when you turn the seam allowance to one side, so in cutting that way, there is no need to sew a scant quarter inch. She has lots of other tips for accuracy in quilting. I highly recommend her book and workshop.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:09 AM

It entirely depends on what ruler you are using. The different brands and types have different measurements depending on which part of the line you use. Their lines are different thicknesses so that enters into it as well.

Use a regular ruler (one for paper) to see what part of your quilting ruler line is the 'true' measurement from the edge. Then you'll know where to place the edge of the fabric.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:27 AM
Power Poster

i love my fluorescent laser cut ruler. the lines are very very thin, but very easy to see.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:07 AM

I try to always use the same brand of rulers and have the left side (I'm right handed) of the line on the edge of the ruler. By doing this I'm sure of having accurate cuts every time.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
Sally Collins, author of a book on precision machine piecing, recommends you have the entire narrow black line (not the fat yellow line around it) on the fabric, without showing any fabric beyond the line. The thickness of that line makes up for the thickness of the thread and what is lost when you turn the seam allowance to one side, so in cutting that way, there is no need to sew a scant quarter inch. She has lots of other tips for accuracy in quilting. I highly recommend her book and workshop.
A quilting friend of mine told me this over 8 years ago. I was sitting the Omnigrid black line in the middle. Once I started doing this. I found that my blocks were much more accurate. Remember, you loose a hair of fabric when you press a seam to the side. Hope this helps you like it helped me.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:50 AM

Thanks for sharing this. I have always done it this way but didn't know the part about not needing a "scant" quarter inch. Appreciate it.