Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ruler quilters...Got the wrong thing... >

Ruler quilters...Got the wrong thing...

Ruler quilters...Got the wrong thing...

Old 01-11-2016, 04:11 PM

Default Ruler quilters...Got the wrong thing...

I ordered a low shank foot for my machine, a ruler and an arc ruler. They accidentally sent the arc ruler meant for a high shank machine...it is thicker. The store was very gracious in their reply to my e-mail and explained that you can still use that ruler with a low shank foot except when you are going around the back of the foot. They've offered to exchange it, if I'd prefer.

So, ruler quilters....will it make any difference to me if I just keep this one? I've read that you usually try to avoid going around the back of the shank anyway....Or I can send it back and wait some more.....But I REALLY want to try this.

Thoughts?

Watson
Old 01-11-2016, 06:13 PM
Power Poster

Oh man, I know you really want to start quilting but if you are not on a deadline I would wait for my replacement ruler. You can still use the others and although you probably won't use it behind the foot but if it creeps around a corner the foot is going to hit it.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:39 PM

It would be a shame to damage something. I'd send it back and wait for the right one. I can understand you're wanting to "get into it" straight away though. Commiserations and remember "all good things come to those who wait".
Old 01-12-2016, 05:39 AM

I know you're right. I'll have to send it back. Boo.

Watson
Old 01-12-2016, 05:42 AM
Power Poster

I would go for the replacement ruler. You don't want to do any damage to your machine.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:56 PM

I'd replace it. That way if you're quilting a big quilt that you don't want to rotate, you will have a ruler that you can use behind your foot.

Rob
Old 01-13-2016, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
I ordered a low shank foot for my machine, a ruler and an arc ruler. They accidentally sent the arc ruler meant for a high shank machine...it is thicker. The store was very gracious in their reply to my e-mail and explained that you can still use that ruler with a low shank foot except when you are going around the back of the foot. They've offered to exchange it, if I'd prefer.

So, ruler quilters....will it make any difference to me if I just keep this one? I've read that you usually try to avoid going around the back of the shank anyway....Or I can send it back and wait some more.....But I REALLY want to try this.

Thoughts?

Watson
If it were me, I'd exchange it for the correct one. Then I don't have to remember to do or not do something.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:01 AM

I also have the low shank foot and , I agree, I would send it back. In the meantime, if you want to play, I have had good luck using my rotary cutting rulers for doing grid work. They are the same thickness as the low shank rulers. Enjoy....it is loads of fun.