Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ruler Quilting on DSM >

Ruler Quilting on DSM

Ruler Quilting on DSM

Old 10-15-2016, 02:21 PM

Default Ruler Quilting on DSM

Just wondering how others are doing with this. I recently signed up for a class by Amy Johnson through Craftsy.com. Today I went to LQS and bought the ruler foot plus starter kit for my Pfaff QE 4.2. I'm so hoping that I can do this. I've been doing FMQ for awhile and would like to branch out a bit. Would love to hear your experiences with ruler quilting.
Old 10-15-2016, 02:30 PM

It's quite doable, I've done ruler work on my Janome DSM just like Amy Johnson. She has several Free YouTube videos as well. There are other threads I believe here on the board that discuss it, just do a search for it. It's a great addition to your quilting.
Old 10-15-2016, 02:56 PM
Power Poster

I am waiting for my Bernina foot #72 and my rulers in Nov. I have done a bit of ruler work and find my Machinger gloves really help. I also find I can a better stitch quality by following a ruler. It takes a bit to get used to holding the ruler and moving the quilt but you will love it!
Old 10-15-2016, 03:12 PM

I love it! I have really enjoyed doing ruler quilting. If you're comfortable FMQing then the ruler work will be pretty easy to pick up. The hardest thing for me was remembering to keep my ruler foot against the ruler.

I find that for certain kinds of designs--particularly ones that involve straight lines or long curves, and also for some geometric designs , I've been more satisfied with the end result when I've done them using rulers. I also like to combine ruler work with regular FMQ-- you can get some really nice effects that way.

Amy Johnson's classes are both very good. I have also enjoyed watching Lisa Calle and Patsy Thompson work with rulers. They both have a number of youtube videos out there, as does Amy Johnson. I think that Leah Day has recently started doing some ruler work videos as well.

Have fun.

Rob
Old 10-15-2016, 04:51 PM

I've been teaching the Westalee Template class where I work, and I am really enjoying it! There is a learning curve, and you really need some good traction on the back of your templates. They come with the sticky back rubber shelf liner, but you can use anything you put on the back of your regular acrylic rulers. We've found that a dab of hot glue gives you some good traction, but it comes off easily. The other thing that takes practice is moving the quilt, without moving the ruler on the quilt. You have to move the quilt, but hold the ruler gently. Here's a picture of some samples.
Attached Thumbnails westalee-template-sampler-pic.jpg  
Old 10-15-2016, 05:13 PM

I've used them for a couple of quilts...there is a learning curve,but it's doable and pretty fun.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:56 PM
Power Poster

Quitledsunshine those samples are beautiful.
Old 10-16-2016, 03:48 AM

I do ruler work on my DSM. The biggest advice I'd give besides practice, practice, practice is to be careful of the size of the rulers you purchase. The DSM limits how long a ruler you can use. Start with a couple of basic rulers and when you get familiar with them you can branch out.
Also look into Patsy Thompson's videos and Amy Johnson's. Both very good.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:38 AM

I'm signed up for one of Amy Johnson's classes but I haven't started it yet. It's strange but I am watching youtube videos for some reason. I have been really enjoying Jamie Wallen's work found here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqz...TaxSTV4mxj872g
Old 10-16-2016, 04:55 AM

Thanks for asking your question. I have been looking at the rulers for awhile and I am almost ready to take the leap of faith. I have many UFO's waiting to be quilted, and this looks like something I will enjoy doing. I am a little OCD and am never satisfied with my fmq. I think the rulers will help with my problems. I am very critical of my finished projects and hope they will help. Wish me luck, I think I will be ordering the rulers soon.
Sue