Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ruler quilting >

Ruler quilting

Ruler quilting

Old 08-15-2018, 06:25 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Monale View Post
For a DSM, do I still need a ruler base?
Sorry, didn't realize you were working on a domestic. Usually domestic machines have base that fits around the free arm or they are in a recessed dedicated table. As long as you have a large flat surface to lay the ruler you should be good. On a budget, go to any window/glass place or home building place (like a Home Depot) they will cut 1/4" plexiglass to size for you. I would start with a smaller sized straight edge. Probably no larger than 2 1/2" x 6"
Old 08-15-2018, 06:27 AM
Power Poster

Yes, you can use a straight edge against the ruler foot as long as it is about 1/4 inch thick so the edge does not accidentally come up over the foot and the needle hits it. This could damage your machine. The benefit of the clear rulers is you can see through them.
You can find a lot of good information over at Amy’s site www.freemotionquiltingadventures.blogspot.com/ She also has videos you can watch to see if ruler work is something you want to get into. You can also check YouTube for Angela Walters or Gina Perkes.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:33 AM

Thanks to all of you for your help on this! Lots of information for me to look up and google! But not tonight, it's getting late on my side of the world and I better go to bed now...
Old 08-15-2018, 06:36 AM

Short answer, no.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:49 AM

Now my question to the experts: Can I just use my plexiglass quilting ruler (about 3mm or ⅛" thick) or do I also need to buy a special ruler for this?
I am by no means an expert, but I did recently purchase a ruler foot of the same style as the one that you linked to and I also bought one quilting ruler to try with it and this is what I've learned from practicing on my own DSM with a 6 inch throat:

This style of foot hovers over the quilt sandwich and does not hop. On my machine, I needed to adjust the foot to be very low so that it prevented the top fabric from pulling up as the needle moved to get good stitches. This means on my machine, the foot is stationary and gliding over the sandwich, and is low enough that I can use a regular quilting ruler without any danger to my machine. Obviously, there is no guarantee that this will be the case with yours, but for mine (Janome Magnolia 7318), it works.

The quilting ruler I bought is specifically for ruler quilting. It's the Handi Quilter Versa Tool and I love that it has several different shapes on it. However, because my machine is a low shank and small throat, I cannot maneuver the ruler in all directions. The 1/4" thickness prevents me from doing anything where the ruler would go towards the back of the shank because the ruler DOES NOT FIT under the shank. Low shank DSM users beware! It's super frustrating. Also, because the throat of my machine is so small, I'm purely limited to using the HQ ruler to the front of my machine, and the left side only if it's not going to require me to do anything towards the rear left. For example: curves that require the ruler to move partially behind the shank are impossible.

That frustration is what led me to try using a regular quilting ruler which DOES fit under the shank and does not slide under the ruler foot because I've had to adjust it so low on my machine.

So, short answer: possible It's possible that you can use your regular quilting ruler with this style of non-hopping foot. There are a lot of ifs and requirements to do so (and some risk), but it's possible.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:16 AM

How thick are those special rulers? Instead of buying a special ruler that says "ruler quilting", would it work to use maybe a wooden board or something of that same thickness?
3/8 to 1/4 inch depending on shank size the 1/4 inch can't be used behind the foot on low shank . Westalee, patsy thompson, gina perkes, lisa calle, top anchor and handiquilter make some nice rulers. They are pretty fun to play with
Old 08-15-2018, 04:25 PM

I also have a Juki TL2000Qi and bought the foot and different ruler shapes through Amazon. I ordered the foot for long shank.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:09 PM

I don't know why, but I think I will pass on ruler quilting. Maybe the reason is thinking that ruler is going to get underneath the needle and mess up the timing of my machine. I'm on a tight budget, so I wouldn't want to buy specialty rulers and a make shift one just seems dangerous to my precious machine
Old 08-16-2018, 02:11 AM

I got the foot, the starter package and online classes you have access to forever. Great customer service. Even though it’s in Australia with the exchange rate it was cheaper than US and you get 8 classes. http://www.punchwithjudy.com.au
Old 08-17-2018, 06:59 AM

Email - [email protected], has classes online, you need to contact her for more information. I am starting my classes in September - have seen some of the ruler work she teaches - very impressed....if I remember correctly it cost me $35 to register for the online classes with Pam the lady that gives you the online classes.