Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Rulers to get started

Rulers to get started

I am new to quilting. I have sewn for years so I have other sewing notions but the rulers to get have me stuck. I know the basics but when my Gramma showed me it was with scissors and paper templates so in rounding up supplies I got to rulers and there are so many I am baffled. I could spend a fortune I guess, but what I really need are the basics to start out. Any help would be much appreciated.

marnissa,
    For the most part I still use templates and scissors-I love the sound of the scissors closing; it's a sound that takes me back to my mom sewing. I also shake a lot so I'm kind of intimidated with the rotary cutter, I don't have as much control and I'm afraid I might cut off something vital.

I have a four " by 12" ruler that I like but mostly I use the June Taylor Get Squared rulters to square the blocks up when they're finished. I have a 12", 8" and 6" ones.

Good luck wading through all of the products to find the ones that work for you. I bought my rulers at Joann with coupons because the cost was a factor to me, so I get one at a time.
    Andii

Now days there is a ruler for everything. However, to get started with the basic bare bones you can get by with a 6 x 12 and a 6 x 24 inch ruler. I happen to like the Omni grid rulers, but there are many good ones out there. With those 2 rulers, you can cut strips, squares, even triangles, sort of.

If you want to get a little fancier, there are some great rulers at

www.guidelines4quilting.com/

It's complicated to explain how they work but it is worth checing them out. I bought 2 of their 6 x 12 rulers and a connector. Those 2 can be combined into all sorts of combinations. I like to use this set up for repetitive strips. They are fast becoming my favorites. I teach a beginner's class through adult education in my local high school and my students always want to borrow them in class.
    Arlene

6x24 is what I use for almost everything. Some specialty rulers for a few special quilt patterns

Blog Entries
    I am an Olfa Frosted Ruler fan and I couldn't live without my 6" X 24" one! I am not a fan of the Omni grids as I think the lines are too thick and it is too busy (lots of lines) I like the frosted because it makes the ruler less shiny but I can see my fabric perfectly through it. Also, I am a big fan of the June Taylor Shape Cut, although I have only used it to cut strips. (I have the Accuquilt Go with the strip dies and I have yet to use them. Find myself always pulling out my June Taylor!

http://www.joann.com/olfa-frosted-ru...-x24-/prd9818/

http://www.joann.com/shape-cut-sprin...prd_10560019a/

Use coupons on them at Joann's or Hancocks, never pay full price for a ruler! (or anything else, if you can help it!!!)
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Banned
    When you find one you like then stick with that brand for all the others you buy. The only exception I suggest is when there is a very special ruler for a special project such as wedge ruler. All rulers are not created equal and the lines on one might be slightly different than the other. I prefer the Omnigrid because that is the brand i "grew up in quilting with" so have the 6"x24" 6"x12" 12.5x12.5 and the 6.5x6.5 etc etc. Then purchase speciality as they ae needed for a project. An example of this is the "Strip Tube Ruler" for the strip quilts.

I am "renew" to quilting as well. I made quilts with templates long ago. I find I use a 6X24, the June Taylor Shape Cutter, and a 6 inch square up ruler. I did buy a Missouri Quilt template for 5 inch charm squares that makes the tumbler block, which was fun.

Blog Entries
    I agree 6 by 24 is the one I use the most
    Sewflower

I can see how confusing this must seem to a 'newbie.'

I like a shorter ruler for cutting smaller pieces and the longer ruler for strip cutting or larger pieces. 6" z 24" fore my longer ruler.

Brands: Omnigrid or Creative Grids. With Creative Grids the rulers don't slide or slip. However, I also love the nifty Notions 7" x 14" and use this a lot too.

The main take away is: whatever ruler you start with, keep using it for the whole project for that sized pieces. You may use 2 rulers: a small one and the larger one ... whatever ... those are what you will use throughout. Mark them if necessary with painter's tape. If you interchange your rulers you may end up with different sized pieces.

ali
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Thank you all. That really helps. I am a researcher so as you can imagine after looking at rulers for a while my eye balls crossed and smoke came out of my ears.

I love the 6x24 ruler and use it the most. I also use a handle on it to keep my hands away from the rotary cutter. You can get those at Harbor Freight. Most of my rulers are Omnigrid and like the contrast the yellow lines give.

I noticed the Hancock's has their quilt notions on sale- 40%. It might be a good time to look if there is a Hancock's close to you.

I have been doing this for 4 years now, so I have accumulated many many rulers that I thought would be useful. Than being said the two I use regularly are a standard 6 x 24 and a 6 x 12.

My 6 x 12 is this ruler
    http://www.olfa.com/RulersDetail.aspx?C=66&Id=144
    I use it for all of my smaller trimming up projects because of the angle lines radiating from the center.
    Betty

A quilt will warm your body and comfort your soul.

http://notesfrommoosehaven.blogspot.com

I agree with many others here in that all rulers are not created equal! Use the same one start to finish in whatever project you are doing. Also a 6 x 24 is great but if you can find a wider - say 8 x 24 that suits you, you may like that better. I've made a number of quilts that call for 6.5" cuts and it's a pain to line up 2 rulers. I finally found a 7.5 x 24 and use it most now. Also a 12.5 x 12.5 will allow you to square up most anything. Those 2-3 rulers will get you through just about any quilt making you might want to do for quite some time.

Only other suggestion I have, while shopping for rulers, pick out a few fabrics that you really like in several different colors/values. Put the rulers up against the fabrics to see how easy it is for you to see lines on the rulers when using with 'real' fabric. Some are easier to read than others. And as others have also said, find a brand and stick with it. It will give you the flexibility to use different size rulers throughout your project still getting the same measurements. I also have a small 3.5 x 6 ruler that comes in handy for just straightening up edges and such without having to manipulate a larger ruler. And pick up some clear sticky dots for putting on the bottom corners of your ruler. Makes them non-slip!

I use my 5x19 ruler and june tailor shape cut the most, and my 9x9 ruler to square up when finished

The rulers I use most are 6 1/2" x 24 1/2" and 12 1/2" square-up, both Creative Grids.

Blog Entries
    The ruler that I abolutely have to have is my Omnigrip 8 1/2" x 24". I like it much better than the 6" x 24", but that is just my preference.
    Sadiemae

have several but would really like a 2 1/2 x 24, I seem to make so many strips and squares.

Blog Entries
    I use the 6x12, 6" square, and 15" square the most. Then I have the Circle-A-Round by Cheryl Phillips for inset cicles which is the best thing since sliced bread. One of these days I may get the 12 1/2 square because the 15 is just a bit big and most of my blocks are 12 1/2".

It is not just the size that matters but the color too. I actually prefer the ones with the black and yellow markings. The ones with the green markings drive me to drink.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Power Poster
    I've just started to use the Olfa Frosted rulers and I really like them.
    The lines are nice and thin and it doesn't feel 'cluttered'

The Quilter's Rule line has thick lines/grids/grippers - and I don't use them anymore. They also seemed to 'shave down' faster than some of my other ones.

I have quite a few Omni-Grid ones, but I'm starting to prefer the frosted ones.

My favorite ruler for tiny pieces is the 4x8 Omnigrid with the 1/8 inch grid.

I also prefer the 1/8 inch grid 3 x 18 inch Omnigrid ruler to the one that's marked 'the other way' of the Omnigrid 3 x 18 inch ruler.

I will say that it's good to check ANY ruler against the other one that one is currently using.

Also, rulers WILL wear down (get shaved/eroded) after a lot of use - I've ended up with shallow curves in the center of longer rulers because the center gets a lot more use than the ends do!