Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Rulers - Measuring 7/8 >
  • Rulers - Measuring 7/8

• Rulers - Measuring 7/8

Old 09-01-2010, 08:56 AM

Okay I have a pattern I just got and I have to cut strips out at a 7 7/8 measurement.

I currently use a Nifty Notions Ruler and I don't believe this measurement is on the ruler. But my question is...I want to make this quilt for my bed, so I want it to be right. SO...does someone have a reference for where to buy a ruler that would easily measure out at 7/8 increments?

This pattern book is called "Simple Stars - Beautiful Quilts" And I want to make the king size quilt.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! :)
    Old 09-01-2010, 09:00 AM
    Power Poster

What I do for an odd measure it to use blue painters tape or sticky notes and place a few dots on the measurement line on a ruler that my not have a good marking line.
    Old 09-01-2010, 09:06 AM
    Banned

I purchased an Omnigrid ruler that was ruled in black at 1/8" increments. It is great for seeing the small measurements.
    Old 09-01-2010, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by miholmes
    Okay I have a pattern I just got and I have to cut strips out at a 7 7/8 measurement.

I currently use a Nifty Notions Ruler and I don't believe this measurement is on the ruler. But my question is...I want to make this quilt for my bed, so I want it to be right. SO...does someone have a reference for where to buy a ruler that would easily measure out at 7/8 increments?

This pattern book is called "Simple Stars - Beautiful Quilts" And I want to make the king size quilt.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! :)

Most likely, you are going to make half-square triangles out of these strips, right? If that's the case, just cut to 8" instead, make the HST units, and then trim them. You'll get nicer looking units if you square them up anyway.
    Old 09-01-2010, 09:12 AM

7/8" is on most rulers, you gotta squint reel hard to see it. actually you have to count the marks because it's not written out, and by the way, I'm working on a pattern using 7/8" and I hate that! I like the easy to find lines.
    Old 09-01-2010, 09:14 AM
    Banned

from the looks of the pattern it appears to be made up of a series of squares made of half square triangles. The clue was the 7/8" measurement. I find doing the blocks with triangles to be a real pain to get them accurate.
    I would consider determining the size of the square (two triangles) and make them a bit larger and then cut to the correct size, This would require grafting out the pattern to determine where each color is to be placed and then I do a chart to tell me how many of fabric 1/2, 2/3 etc is required.
    Fabric 1 meaning a certain color and 2 another etc.
    Did all this confuse you.
    Old 09-01-2010, 11:46 AM
    np3
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Holice
    I purchased an Omnigrid ruler that was ruled in black at 1/8" increments. It is great for seeing the small measurements.
    Me too and I love it. The dots they use instead of all solid lines help me make more accurate cuts.
    Old 09-01-2010, 11:54 AM

I took a class and the instructor said to go to the next measurement and it iwll square up better. Those writing the patterns have too much time on their hands. LOL. Other than that, I count the lines to the last one before the next whole number. ROFL....ANd I need glasses to do it. I may look into the Omni ruler someone mentioned.
    Old 09-01-2010, 11:58 AM

I don't bother with 1/8 inches. I go to the next quarter inch mark, then square up to the correct finished size. It's just not worth the sliver of fabric you would save.
    Old 09-01-2010, 01:57 PM

My Creative Grid rulers measure to 7/8 inches.