Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rulers that sharpen your rotary cutter >

Rulers that sharpen your rotary cutter

Rulers that sharpen your rotary cutter

Old 09-26-2010, 03:23 PM

Has anyone used these? Do they work? I'd never heard of them before yesterday. They look like regular rulers but one edge is supposed to sharpen your blade as you cut the fabric. The LQS that had them said that they hadn't heard from any of their customers whether they liked them or not so I thought I'd ask people here.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:25 PM

I think they are brand spanking new but its a great idea if they work.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:30 PM

Is this the one from Grace Quilting? I have heard its very good but its made specifically to work with their True Cut system. My LQS says they have one coming in that is super nu and great. Maybe thats the one you mean.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:32 PM

I don't know the brand, I was at a retreat and there was another group there having an "Un bus trip", one of these rulers was one of their prizes so I just saw it across the room and heard about it by evesdropping. LOL
Old 09-26-2010, 03:38 PM

On my Maricopa Shop Hop here 2 weeks ago one of the shops had it and they were doing a demo with it. It is a regular ruler with a 'diamond' edge on it that helps to keep your blades sharp. The person that was doing the demo said that he had a blade with a nick in it one day while doing the demo and after a few passes the nick wasn't there any more. He also stated that it would be great with a new blade to keep it sharp more than taking all of our old dull blades and sharpening them. Oh, and he was using an Olfa cutter and blade. The ruler itself is frosted and they run about $20.00. Here in the valley the shop is 3 Dudes Quilting in Chandler area. 5053 W Elliot Rd, Phoenix is the address if anyone is interested. I was not interested due to price and I don't really care for frosted rulers.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:20 PM

My only concern with this type of ruler. Usually when you sharpen something there are little particles of metal taken off. Where does this go??? :?:
Old 09-26-2010, 04:51 PM
Banned

I read somewhere on the Board earlier this evening that Nancy's Notions had a good price for the Tru Cut blade sharpener and she does - c.$10 less than elsewhere.
I just placed an order for one through Amazon though; it's only a few cents cheaper but adds to my accumulated points.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:15 PM

Sullivans Cutting Edge rulers have an edge encrusted with diamond carbide grit, and they also sell a rotary cutter to go along with. I think I saw them in Keepsake Quilting.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:52 AM

But has anyone tried them? I think general consensus is that they're so new that they haven't been tried out yet by any of us.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:57 AM

You need an old blade and see if the ruler sharpens it.