Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rules for a traditional grandmother's flower garden quilt >

Rules for a traditional grandmother's flower garden quilt

Rules for a traditional grandmother's flower garden quilt

Old 06-27-2010, 08:55 AM

I bit the bullet and started one, but I need to clarify a couple of points before I get too many hexagons basted. What are the "rules" for grandmother's flower garden quilt? I have heard that the centers must be yellow and the paths or walkways green. And, there must be at least two rounds of flower petals around the center. Is this true? I searched the Board's archive (not to mention google!!) and could find lots of pictures and patterns but no mention of any traditional or historical rules. All of you provide so much knowledge and support that I know you will be able to help me find the answer.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 06-27-2010, 09:01 AM
Power Poster

I am sure way back when they had set ways to make them --- but you can make them anyway you want :lol:

Here is a short history , but it makes no mention of the "rules " :wink:

http://www.patternsfromhistory.com/c...wer_garden.htm

This one explains some of the background color thinking

http://www.womenfolk.com/quilt_patte...ory/mosaic.htm

White was a picket fence, green was the garden path

Just have fun
Old 06-27-2010, 09:23 AM

Thanks for the links!
this is one of my favorite patterns!
I alwsys have one in progress. Right now I am almost finished with a queen size.
Putting on the border hexagons
It has yellow centers and only 1 ring then white surrounding each flower. the border hex are all scrappy greens.
I don't use papers, I just hand sew an eyeballed 1/4" seam.
as long as you are consistant with your seams the points all match!
these are quick and easy takealong projects.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:30 AM

My sis in law is in the process of making one of these and her nagging question is : how do you finish the edges if you want the hexs as boarders and don't want half hexs. I believe she said the pattern was called Garden Path, I know she would appreciate any help.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by craftiladi
My sis in law is in the process of making one of these and her nagging question is : how do you finish the edges if you want the hexs as boarders and don't want half hexs. I believe she said the pattern was called Garden Path, I know she would appreciate any help.
One method is to applique the edges to the border.

Another is to sew the edge to the border, right sides together, then trim the seam. The seam at each inner corner is nipped to the stitching line, and the outer corners are lobbed off a little so they will turn well. Then you turn right sides out and poke out each corner.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:26 PM

I say do what looks good to you. I saw an antique GFG on ebay, the background was a mustard yellow and those flowers looked beautiful in it. So do what pleases you and don't worry about the rules.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:03 PM

This one of the quilts that I have started and is in my beautiful cookie tin. I highly recommend ....Sharon Hultgren, "quilting 401...60 degree shapes with no math. Also the the easy hexagon ruler, which makes different sizes. All the instructions to put the blocks and quilt together together.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:50 PM

I believe the 'traditional" GFG may have yellow centers and green paths, but it is "NOT" a rule! I have used yellow centers for mine, with the 3rd row white. I did put together with green, but not in the traditional layour. There are so many ways to do this quilt. Look up some sites, and find what you like. http://hexagonquilt-along.blogspot.com/ is a good site with lots of fun stuff to look into. Have fun with your hexies. They are addicting!! I did applique the top to borders, then appliqued the borders. Not traditional :oops:
Old 06-27-2010, 04:33 PM
Power Poster

I say do it however you like!
Old 06-27-2010, 04:41 PM

I don't think they're are any set rules now adays. I'm doing one with 2 rows in each flowers with a black center. The paths are white, and the flowers are red & blue. Kind of patriotic. Do what you like!