Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rusted safety pins stuck in a UFO >

Rusted safety pins stuck in a UFO

Rusted safety pins stuck in a UFO

Old 08-03-2019, 06:50 PM

Default Rusted safety pins stuck in a UFO

I didn't even think about pins rusting and sticking to the fabric when I put away some UFO's several years ago. I Googled and found all kinds of ways to get the rust out after the pins were removed, but what can I do to get the pins out without tearing up the fabric. They are really stuck good. One of the pieces is part of an elaborate machine embroidered project.

All ideas are welcome...or websites... I've thought about putting some of the rust removal product on the stuck pin and see if will break down the rust molecules. Is that what you would do?

Note to self: Buy some brass pins and throw away those silver metal safety pins or remember to take them out if you are going to store a partially finished project.
Old 08-03-2019, 07:00 PM
Power Poster

​Rather then putting any moisture on the rusty pins that could make the rust stains worse, I think I would use my wire cutters to cut up the safety pins and carefully remove the pieces.
Old 08-03-2019, 07:15 PM

I agree with Tartan, that would probably be the easiest way. Good luck!
Old 08-03-2019, 07:41 PM

Thanks Tartan, I'll try that first. I never even thought of trying to cut them off. Hopefully that will be a good solution.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:31 PM
Power Poster

I have not tried this - and I think the idea may cause another problem -

put some cooking oil or shortening on the pins - then they may loosen up from the fabric.

But then you will have a grease spot. But a grease spot might be less of a problem than a hole in the fabric.
Old 08-04-2019, 12:40 AM

Could you use the solutions you found to remove the rust stains from the fabric be tried while the pin is still in the fabric? Maybe they would loosen the rust enough to get the pin out too....
Old 08-04-2019, 04:25 AM

Just wondering if a few drops of liquid dish soap would work as a lubricant
Old 08-04-2019, 05:27 AM

In general I haven't had very good luck rescuing fabric with rust issues. Sometimes no major problems, but mostly I end up with some holes.

When I collected vintage fabric I carefully bought brass safety pins and acid free labels that I would write the yardage and other information on. Stored them in a box lined with acid free tissue paper, etc.

A lot of my vintage fabrics had stapled on tags (which rust), pins (which rust), and safety pins (which rust). When they are solidly encased in the rust I have been able to bend/cut them out, but usually can see the flawed areas and so I cut around them when I use them. Since I was selling I left them in place and noted it on my tag, some of the rusted items had provenance to the piece, like a store tag and date on it.

In the case of finished blocks, I'd probably cry a lot and then remind myself that it was "Just a UFO and if it was important to me it would have already finished". Then I'd work at breaking out those pieces as best I can. You can apply a dot of fusible interfacing on the back if the threads break. Finish it the best you can, and then move forward -- with brass pins!
Old 08-04-2019, 06:46 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
​Rather then putting any moisture on the rusty pins that could make the rust stains worse, I think I would use my wire cutters to cut up the safety pins and carefully remove the pieces.
And if the pieces are still belligerent, try grasping with a needle nose pliers or hemostat to pull the bugger out!
Old 08-04-2019, 06:52 AM

Oh, you can also try rubbing the safety pin area with a bar of soap. Think that did more good as rubbing than the soap but what the heck, at a certain point you try everything!