Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sampler quilt question

Blog Entries
    I see a lot of you making sampler quilts. How do you know which blocks to use? Is there a general guideline to the blocks or do you pick the ones you like best? I have been wanting to make a sampler quilt out of the different patterns I have collected.

Blog Entries
    There are patterns that you can purchase. I just choose blocks I like and that I want to make.

bj
    I just pick blocks I like and think I can do. Unless it's like the Pioneer BOM, then I do the ones I can and substitute for the ones I can't.

I've not done a sampler, but you can do any blocks you want to. The key is to "sample" different blocks and put them all together..have fun

I did one on another forum where a dozen people agreed to each pick a block according to a theme (it was stars). Each person made one of each block in her own fabrics and made her own quilt.

It definitely made me reach a little and try blocks I wouldn't have normally chosen. I think I could easily pick 12 star blocks, but it was interesting (and encouraging) to work with others.

Maybe you could do something like that on this forum?

I love samplers!!!!!! There are so many different blocks out there and I want to do them all. Some of my samplers have been in very coordinating materials. Others all different colors. I'm working on this one right now. It's Rhonda's blocks. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-70984-7.htm There is another sampler "Dear Jane" that is on this board as well. My Avatar was one I started years ago. They are just so much fun.

Opps forgot I changed my Avatar....sorry

I like to choose blocks I like, all the same size and then set them in different ways.

Blog Entries
    Choose your favorite blocks, or choose blocks you have never made before... mix them up, your choice :D:D:D

I'm just collecting blocks I love and when they are made up I decide on the placement order of the squares. I just have faith they will look good together. If I don't like some when their made up I just exchange them for a different one.

Good Luck,
    Andie

Quilterscache.com has a lot of patterns for single blocks that could be used in a sampler quilt. I've thought of doing one of a bunch of her blocks...... She lists them by title and by size, so it is easy to pick a few...or too many LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Ilovemydogs
    I see a lot of you making sampler quilts. How do you know which blocks to use? Is there a general guideline to the blocks or do you pick the ones you like best? I have been wanting to make a sampler quilt out of the different patterns I have collected.
    I bought Lynne Edwards Sampler Quilt Books ages ago and have just begun working my way through, in the books they are hand and machine sewn and applique, I am hand sewing and quilting them all though, I willl join them all together when I have enough. There are though plenty on this board which you could use.

Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone! That is on my 2011 to do list! :-) Will post pics once I get started. I have gotten a lot of ideas from quilters cache.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by luvspaper
    Quilterscache.com has a lot of patterns for single blocks that could be used in a sampler quilt. I've thought of doing one of a bunch of her blocks...... She lists them by title and by size, so it is easy to pick a few...or too many LOL!
    You are absolutely right. I have made about four sampler quilts from Quilter's CAche. I use the 12" blocks. The one I am working on now are 12" blocks, all different, all with three colors only and all that I have never made before. I have 12 done and have 36 to go, so you can see the myriad of patterns just in the 12" and there are tons more in that size and also other sizes. I like to figure out what my main color is going to be and that will be the backing, border and sashing and then from what I have in my stash, I make the block. It all matches beautifully and you are using up your stash, or it gives you the greatest opportunity to find 1/2 yard of fabric that you really want in a block. I love to lay the blocks on the floor and decide where they are going to go and then before I have it all figured out, Miss Bess comes and lays on the blocks. Edie

When I made my sampler I chose blocks that were about me or my family.. carpenters square, grandpa was a carpenter, the Des Moines block, I was born in Des Moines, basket, because I love them, autumn leaves, my favorite season, a boat, my family is navy, etc.

There *are* patterns available, but you can make your own up and do whatever floats your boat. I'm planning a sampler, of sorts...I'm doing a variation of QAYG to make my own 80x80 quilt...I'll be doing the quilting in sections of 40x40. In each of those sections, I plan to do something totally different. One of them might be a Bargello, I want to try the French Braid, There are many other different blocks that I want to try out. It is going to be a completely random quilt, only colours tying each section to the others. I can't wait. :D

I did a red work quilt top showing the life of a quilter. Buying fab, cutting, desing board, quilting and then finished project. Pieced blocks started w/simple one...basic 9 patch, progressed to blocks w/more detail and even added applique. Turned out really cool.

For you decide if you want totally different blocks to just samples of a theme..like stars.

Have fun and just do it as they say

I LOVE your "babies" in your picture. I had a GSPointer for 13 years. Best lovingest dog I ever had. She was also gorgeous. On to the blocks: pick the ones you like the best! That simple-that easy! It will turn out beautiful, I promise you!!!!!
    :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Historically a sampler was a block of different techniques, and sizes. NOw teaching out of the way . I am putting my orphant blocks in a top. It is really becoming interesing, lol

There are so many beautiful blocks available. If I keep making them I figure I can put then all together and have my king size quilt with the ample hang over that we want. Or I also make blocks and then turn them into a pillow or a runner. So many blocks so little time, but one way or the other I plan on spending a lot of time in my sewing room in 2011.

I've been working on a midget block sampler. Each block is 4". This sampler has regular and paper pieced blocks. I love paper piecing so I've started with all of those first. Mine isn't completly scrappy but it's all asst 30's repros so it has a theme.

http://sentimentalstitches.net/free-...midget-blocks/

Quote Originally Posted by luvspaper
    This IS a great site for many different sizes and blocks. I have made many, many blocks from this, and luvspaper is right, there ARE too many to choose from!

My first really successful quilt was a sampler -- I picked my primary material and made 2 blocks of each pattern -- this king quilt is really my favorite of all -- I had bought a patchwork mag showing how to do the sampler blocks and used most of the sampler blocks which I felt I could easily do as I was a real beginner -- some were pieced and some were appliqued --choose your fabric and pattern blocks and go to do, girl!

I just choose blocks I want to make....and I do all mine with a coordinated color scheme. If a block I want to make is smaller than the others, I just add a "border" to the block until I get the size of the others.

I have never been a lover of sampler quilts, but I have been making the Farmer's Wife Sampler quilt and really love using different techniques for each block, i.e., hand pieced, templates, paper piecing, machine stitching. I'm improving my quilting skills with each block. Just goes to show...what you hate one day, you love the next.

nab
    My very first quilt was a sampler. I learned with each block. It went from railed fence to applique and a lot inbetween. I now just choose the blocks I like that compliment each other. It is fun, because each block is different.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast